S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

got a vibration...left rear...slow speeds.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by efthimios,Jun 27 2006, 05:06 PM
X I thought that the ap2's do not need the spacer? this is not factual, just off of what I have read (I just learned )
I didn't see this info myself. Not sure why an AP2 would be any different from an AP1 in terms of dropping the car. In either case, when the car sits at a different ride height, the angle of the 1/2 shafts changes. When this changes, the opposing parts of the CVs that act upon each other will shift. Something is needed to compensate for this. Whether it be spacers or magic beans, it's still something. Leaving it alone will only promote new wear patterns - patterns that may not always function without some characteristic being noticed. Some cars that don't have spacers have been known to go happily down the road without any issue while others may not be so lucky. Why the difference?
Old 06-27-2006, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xviper,Jun 27 2006, 07:01 PM
Some cars that don't have spacers have been known to go happily down the road without any issue while others may not be so lucky. Why the difference?
chance? my 02 was dropped 1.5" for 3yrs & 70k mi and never an issue with that...another semi local w/ an 02 and less miles & dropped ended up with that issue....luck maybe.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by efthimios,Jun 27 2006, 08:07 PM
chance? my 02 was dropped 1.5" for 3yrs & 70k mi and never an issue with that...another semi local w/ an 02 and less miles & dropped ended up with that issue....luck maybe.
It could also have something to do with what kind of wear pattern the CVs had before the drop.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems you've already accepted that it's not wheel/tire unbalance. I agree - 50-70 KPH is too slow for that mode of vibration.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Jun 28 2006, 03:25 AM
It could also have something to do with what kind of wear pattern the CVs had before the drop.
ok, sorry but my english is quite bad, so could someone post some pics of the diffrent parts you are talking about?

I have a vibration from left side rear during acceleration (specialy when accelerating in right corners) and at engine braking at 120 km/h
I can
Old 07-05-2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Skogshuggarn,Jul 5 2006, 04:40 PM
ok, sorry but my english is quite bad, so could someone post some pics of the diffrent parts you are talking about?
Inner CV joint (inside the rubber boot):

Outer CV joint:

You can't check these unless you take the boot off and take the joint apart.

The spacer gets sandwiched between the rear diff output shafts (2) and the 1/2 shafts (2).
Look at this website to see the spacers and where they go.
http://www.aj-racing.com/catalog/product.p...&cat=114&page=1

Here's a commercial picture of the 1/2 shafts. The CVs are inside the rubber boots:
http://www.aj-racing.com/catalog/product.p...&cat=114&page=2
Old 07-05-2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by blacky,Jun 27 2006, 11:58 AM
sorry PLYRS 3, but im having the same problems too. need advice as well. this vibration happened when i lowered my car. i asked around and alot of ppl are clueless to this situation. mine vibrates during acceleration around 50-70... but once the gas is not pressed, they go away...i took it to get it balanced and also got an alignment but its still there. lugs nuts are tightly screwed on, so thats not it...i put on my stock rims but it still vibrates. any help would be great guys.
Im in Same exact boat as you. right when i lowered it, all the shaking started. I then got my tires rebalanced again. Then i got my CV joint housings swapped also. I even got an alignent to straightne things outbut it It made it worse.

I cannot enjoy my damn car.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Jul 6 2006, 12:24 AM
Inner CV joint (inside the rubber boot):

Outer CV joint:

You can't check these unless you take the boot off and take the joint apart.

The spacer gets sandwiched between the rear diff output shafts (2) and the 1/2 shafts (2).
Look at this website to see the spacers and where they go.
http://www.aj-racing.com/catalog/product.p...&cat=114&page=1

Here's a commercial picture of the 1/2 shafts. The CVs are inside the rubber boots:
http://www.aj-racing.com/catalog/product.p...&cat=114&page=2
So what should I do, try to swap sides on driveshafts and see if vibration shanges side as well?

Or do I have to buy new driveshafts or drive shaft spacers?
Old 07-05-2006, 05:21 PM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

Remove the shafts and swap the drive buckets (you can't swap complete shafts as they are different lengths). It's a surefire fix, it's easy, and you don't need any new parts. The buckets will now be operating in reverse, on a new drive surface. You likely have pits on the inside of the buckets.

This is VERY common, and I've fixed plenty of them with the bucket swap.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Jul 5 2006, 05:21 PM
Remove the shafts and swap the drive buckets (you can't swap complete shafts as they are different lengths). It's a surefire fix, it's easy, and you don't need any new parts. The buckets will now be operating in reverse, on a new drive surface. You likely have pits on the inside of the buckets.

This is VERY common, and I've fixed plenty of them with the bucket swap.
not tru. After I noticed Vibrations in my car, i switched the CV joint housings from left to right, and its still vibrations under WOT.

Quick Reply: got a vibration...left rear...slow speeds.