S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

good street pads?

Old 07-22-2002, 08:57 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

dude, your stock pads are baked, I too experienced the "warped rotor" deal at both PIR and SIR and know what you are talking about.
Here's all you need to do, no BS, just fu<king do it and you be cool:
Switch to Ate Super Blue,
Decide if you can deal with crazy amounts of brake dust and possible squealing on a reg basis.
If so, get a dual-purpose (hot street) pad (BM#3 or Port R-4S) install and enjoy.
If not, you're going to need to switch pads prior to track time (couple days before is not a big deal) and switch back after. Get Hawk Blue or Carbotech P+ or XP. Enjoy.
You're going to need to get air to the front rotors before long too, but not that big a deal for PIR.
Correction to mis-info in the thread:
1) Panther + are NOT grabby when cold ..... they don't work for sh!t when they're cold.
2) Panther + are riveted to their backing plates but it doesn't matter, the rivets are soft and don't do sh!t to the rotors when they get down to them.

My personal recommendations are to get the Ate and Panther + and live with the pain of swapping pads so you don't have the compromises of excessive dust, poor cold performance, eaten rotors, ear bleeding squeal on the street. However, others have gone the middle road and been very pleased as well. You need to make an informed decision knowing the pros/cons and factoring in your personal preferences.
PM me and I'll give you my Ph # if you want to talk in more detail but don't get swallowed in a bunch of bench racing BS, it really ain't that big a deal.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RT
[B]dude, your stock pads are baked, I too experienced the "warped rotor" deal at both PIR and SIR and know what you are talking about.
Here's all you need to do, no BS, just fu<king do it and you be cool:
Switch to Ate Super Blue,
Decide if you can deal with crazy amounts of brake dust and possible squealing on a reg basis.
If so, get a dual-purpose (hot street) pad (BM#3 or Port R-4S) install and enjoy.
If not, you're going to need to switch pads prior to track time (couple days before is not a big deal) and switch back after.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet.. I would go get 1 liter of ATE super Blue, and flush your system. It only costs about 15 for a liter and is cheap enough. It should fix your pedal vibrations. If it doesnt do it, well you have top-notch fluid in your car and then you know to continue on. If that doesnt hit it, then change pads making sure to do a proper bedding. I still think all you need is a fluid change. I bet you a dollar that you boiled over your oem fluid. It's sucky compared to the ATE.

chris
Old 07-22-2002, 10:16 PM
RT

Originally posted by s2kpdx01

are the panther xp's nasty on the street? (lots of noise, dust, and hard on rotors?)
On their web site it says these can be used as a street pad also.
I think the XP is more aggressive than the P+ which I already think is not appropriate for the street.
If you're going to go the half a$$ route, two pads were already outlined for that ... don't fight it ..... GET ON IT !!!!!
Old 07-22-2002, 10:20 PM

GO RT. P+'s are just fine on the street. They do dust like ALOT though. Okay with me though. my wheels are like my coffee.... BLACK.

Chris
Old 07-22-2002, 10:26 PM
RT

The main concerns of running the track pads on the street are not even the ones you've identified, but most importantly the fact that you can't stop until those thing are up to temp ......... not a good feeling at the end of the freeway off ramp

Another secondary reason to an already secondary reason is that the excessive brake dust will eventually fu<k-up the finish on your wheels no matter who tells you otherwise.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:27 PM
RT

Originally posted by Hams2000
GO RT. P+'s are just fine on the street. They do dust like ALOT though. Okay with me though. my wheels are like my coffee.... BLACK.

Chris
Old 07-22-2002, 10:29 PM
RT

Originally posted by RT
Another secondary reason to an already secondary reason is that the excessive brake dust will eventually fu<k-up the finish on your wheels no matter who tells you otherwise.
......well ..... unless you like you wheels like Chris likes his women
Old 07-22-2002, 10:36 PM

funny dude!

chris
Old 07-23-2002, 12:27 PM

Sorry for the misinformation on the Panther +. My bad.

Quick Reply: good street pads?