S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

good street pads?

Old 07-22-2002, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hams2000
[B]I understand how brakes work but I am telling you that I never had a problem with locking my stock pads up. I understand that braking power is ultimately determined by the grip of the tire. I never felt that the stock setup could not push the car's braking potential to it's limit. I never had locked up my car with stock setups either.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just a note, I read that the Spoon race AP1 uses OEM pads on their Spoon rotors.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by Tedster
Chris,

so are you saying that, with the stock pads, no matter how hard you stood on the brake pedal you couldn't get the ABS to engage?
Chris,

if you wouldn't mind, please answer the above question. I think it will help the rest of us understand the rest of what you're saying.

Thanks,

Ted
Old 07-22-2002, 10:48 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2kpdx01
tedster:
Old 07-22-2002, 10:56 AM

I only stood on my stockers once on the highway at around 100mph, and they did not lock. I also remember that the car could not stop due to severe fading until after they cooled... That's when I changed them. I've run my current setup to the floor at 150 and slowed to about 65 in less than a 1/2 mile with no fading or locking. I know that my stockers would never have done that.

You're probably right that the OEM setup is appropriate for someone who drives this car like a mundane cruiser. I use the car aggresively and knew that for a little bit more I could have a brake setup up much more adaptable to daily cruising and hard driving.

chris
Old 07-22-2002, 10:59 AM

So you are saying that you are unable to engage ABS (or cause the tires to skid, or lock up) with either the stock pads or your current Carbotech pads, is that correct?
Old 07-22-2002, 11:01 AM

I can lock my car up with the Carbotechs.

I never locked my car up with OEM's, because I only braked hard once as described previously.

chris
Old 07-22-2002, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Hams2000
I only stood on my stockers once on the highway at around 100mph, and they did not lock. I also remember that the car could not stop due to severe fading until after they cooled... That's when I changed them. I've run my current setup to the floor at 150 and slowed to about 65 in less than a 1/2 mile with no fading or locking. I know that my stockers would never have done that.

You're probably right that the OEM setup is appropriate for someone who drives this car like a mundane cruiser. I use the car aggresively and knew that for a little bit more I could have a brake setup up much more adaptable to daily cruising and hard driving.

chris
that is really weird. i did 5 repeated stops from 100-0 last night. I am trying to diagnose a brake pulsing problem. I was able to lock the brakes every time. I have S-02's with about 4k on them..so they aren't worn. I am really surprised you couldn't lock your brakes on the street. The only time i had issues locking my brakes after many repeated stops on PIR.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:06 AM

if you've used the brakes hard like that, change your fluid out. I would bet that's your problem. The stock rotors are great and can take lots of abuse.

BTW, when you've run the brakes hard like that, do you allow them to cool before stopping and not letting them sit on one spot of the rotor? also do you apply the parking brake when they've been this hot?

chris
Old 07-22-2002, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by Hams2000
if you've used the brakes hard like that, change your fluid out. I would bet that's your problem. The stock rotors are great and can take lots of abuse.

BTW, when you've run the brakes hard like that, do you allow them to cool before stopping and not letting them sit on one spot of the rotor? also do you apply the parking brake when they've been this hot?

chris
no parking brake after track time.
no parking brake after the repeated stops i ran to test them.
That is the one thing i made sure of.

Quick Reply: good street pads?