S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

good street pads?

Old 07-22-2002, 02:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2kpdx01
[B]But, I too have noticed that my rotors feels as if they are warped.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by CoralDoc
Yes, it is possible that your rotors feel as if they are warped, but rotor warping may not be what's causing the pulsations that you feel at the brake pedal.

Read this excellent website that have been passed along in this forum from E30M3 to cdelena, to me and now to you.

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped...rotors_myth.htm

http://www.stoptech.com/technical/
thanks for the papers. it is funny. yesterday, after driving around wondering if my brakes were "warped...I was looking at my rotors trying to figure out how the heck you would actuall "warp" one. I guess this explains it!!
Old 07-22-2002, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to clarify... I switched to the Endless pads after the Carbotechs because I was told that they are better than the Carbotech... Well I have to tell you that the Endless were very "grabby" and would cause my car to lock up at high speeds very easily. This of course was disturbing me. I never had a problem locking up the stock pads? I dont recall saying that, and if I did, let me retract that in mistake. The Endless pads are the ones that would lock up too easily. I switched back to the Carbotech pads and they are so much better. They are very easy to modulate and brake hard as F**K when you need them to. They do not grab when cold or exhibit any bad characteristics, other than dusting a lot.

As for the "warped" feel.... I had recently changed pads/rotors on my wife's G. Cherokee. Well, not 1000 miles later, it exhibited that feel in the pedal, and I asked myself why that would be on new rotors/pads? Well I stuck her in the car and flushed/bled the jeep with ATE and guess what? The Jeep has a completely smooth pedal.. I am so pissed because the old rotors werent that old and I just assumed they were screwed up...

As my S... Well, it started to get the same feel after use so I flused/bled my S with new ATE super blue and no more pedal pulsing.... It's good to go.. So I would flush your system out before assuming that the rotors are warped...

I am not exceeding the laws of physics but I know for a fact that the stock pads never allowed my car to stop in such a short distance as the Carbotechs. I have tried all three combos on the same tires, so that's not it. The stock pads stop the car nicely dont get me wrong. The Carbotechs allow you to stop with such a force as to make me sick. Stock pads cannot and never do the way the Carbotechs do.

Chris
Old 07-22-2002, 09:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hams2000
[B]Just to clarify... I switched to the Endless pads after the Carbotechs because I was told that they are better than the Carbotech... Well I have to tell you that the Endless were very "grabby" and would cause my car to lock up at high speeds very easily. This of course was disturbing me. I never had a problem locking up the stock pads? I dont recall saying that, and if I did, let me retract that in mistake. The Endless pads are the ones that would lock up too easily.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:46 AM

JEEZ... you people just argue for the sake arguing? I never said I could lock up my stock brakes? I SAID THAT THE ENDLESS PADS WERE VERY EASY TO LOCK UP. QUIT TURNING MY WORDS AROUND.

I run Carbotechs all the way around. It would be a bad idea to mix and match pads as you would create too much bias to the front.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:57 AM

Chris,

so are you saying that, with the stock pads, no matter how hard you stood on the brake pedal you couldn't get the ABS to engage?
Old 07-22-2002, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by Hams2000
JEEZ... you people just argue for the sake arguing? I never said I could lock up my stock brakes? I SAID THAT THE ENDLESS PADS WERE VERY EASY TO LOCK UP. QUIT TURNING MY WORDS AROUND.

I run Carbotechs all the way around. It would be a bad idea to mix and match pads as you would create too much bias to the front.
i have no idea why you are freaking out. I just said "if" you could lock the stock setup, or your aftermarket endless setup (which you can); then to say the carbotech are somehow making you able to brake faster on the exact same tires is breaking the laws of physics. I am not going to argue anymore with you. If you don't want to actually understand how braking works fine, but don't get mad when people use the laws of physcis to destroy your opinion. I don't care if you think you are going to puke when you break. I have accelerated at over 1 G before, which is about the limit of street tires under breaking and never felt like i was going to puke so everyone has different limits on their stomachs!!

This is the same sort of argument people bring up with the "butt dyno." Man it feels faster or it feels like i can brake harder. I hate to go over this again, but you really should understand what makes a good brake system before you talk about them. The ability to modulate the grabbiness or fade are not the issues I was discussing. I was talking about the most basic part of braking. IF you are capable of inducing a skid in the car (locking the tires) you have exceeded the grip of the tires. Therefore, you can stop no quicker then a slight decrease from that point...that's it. I don't really know what part of this argument you are having problems with. I don't think I am saying anything out of the ordinary!?!?!

But, anyway, sorry if i got you upset...i wasn't meaning too. Thanks for the info on the carbotech pads. I have been looking at those for a while and might pick up a pair.
cheers.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:13 AM

tedster: you need to add under your brake section: "tires what you actually brake with!" You should talk about contact patches and rolling friction and the whole bit...maybe i can find a good write-up to point too. This has been posted on corner-carvers so it shouldn't be long before some of them chime in!! heheeh
Old 07-22-2002, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by Hams2000

I mean no offense to anyone, just silly to sit there and try to "tech" me death. If you dont believe, too bad because the shit works. Period.

Chris

Yeah, nobody here wants any of that "hard data" or "measurement" or "fact" stuff.

After all, Chris says it works, so it should, right?

Chris, I'd probably go back and edit your posts to blanks about now.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:32 AM

I understand how brakes work but I am telling you that I never had a problem with locking my stock pads up. I understand that braking power is ultimately determined by the grip of the tire. I never felt that the stock setup could not push the car's braking potential to it's limit. I never had locked up my car with stock setups either.

I get mad because MANY people on this board write on what they THINK or what they HEAR not what they EXPERIENCE. Take for example this other snob who point blank told me that my horsepower figures seem "high" to him and he couldnt see how that would be? I have tried many different mods and pioneered new parts for the car. It seems all too often for a person on this board to shoot me down and berate me when I write on my experiences. I dont write about shit I dont know, only on the things I've tried. I posted my dyno sheets after tuning my EMS and people say that looks high? excuse me but why would I make up something like that? What reason would I have to do that. "I dont think the EMS would make that much power" comments are too common around here... "do YOU have the EMS? then shut up"....

My point is that how can you sit there and tell me that my car cannot brake as hard when you obviously are not running my setup and therefore have no real personal hands-on determination? You have not driven my car and cannot possibly give that opinion. I am only trying to help other people on this board and share my experiences on what works and what does not work. That's all... I'm not trying to blow smoke up your ass so quit criticizing me.

chris

Quick Reply: good street pads?