S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

good street pads?

Old 07-17-2002, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default good street pads?

What are some good street pads? I toasted my pads on the track yesterday and need some more. I was just gonna get some OEM pads, but does anyone run some aftermarket pads on the street that cost about the same, but are better then the OEM pads? I really like the OEM pads in terms of the wear they cause and the fact they don't leave brake dust everywhere...at least when on the street....you should see my wheels after my track day!!

Anyway, where is a good place to order OEM brake pads?
Old 07-17-2002, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can check the brakes section of the Track FAQ here:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=53865

for some general info.

I'm currently using the BrakeMan #3 pads for both track and street. They make quite a bit of dust and squeak some, but so far I really like them. The dust washes off easier than the Porterfield R4S dust, and I believe they will hold up better on the track.

For pure street driving, though, it's hard to beat the stock pads.

Ted

p.s. If you're still using the stock brake fluid, be sure to change that, too.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I feel the OEM pads are the best for the street. If you factor in cost, wear/life, and dust, OEM pads are superior for street use. They provide more than enough torque for the SO-2s and thermal failure on the street is pretty damn unlikely.

www.handaaccessories.com has OEM pads on the cheap and they are a board sponsor.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:24 PM

I think the Porterfield R4S is a great street pad: durable, lasting, a little dusty, still grippy when cold, and a good bit better braking than OEMs.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:36 PM

Four times the price and they last half a long.

If you can lock up the tires with the OEM pads, why would you need the extra bite of a mild Race pad?
Old 07-17-2002, 01:44 PM

Like I said, for street only, no track use, you can't beat the OEM pads, if you take dust, noise, and price into account.

But for someone who just toasted their stock pads at a track event, the options are either:

1) more stock pads for the street and something else for the track; switching pads before and after each track event.

2) some other pad that will work for both. a) Porterfield R4S and b) BrakeMan #3 both fit the bill here. I just switched from a) to b), and I prefer b) so far.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by Tedster
Like I said, for street only, no track use, you can't beat the OEM pads, if you take dust, noise, and price into account.

But for someone who just toasted their stock pads at a track event, the options are either:

1) more stock pads for the street and something else for the track; switching pads before and after each track event.

2) some other pad that will work for both. a) Porterfield R4S and b) BrakeMan #3 both fit the bill here. I just switched from a) to b), and I prefer b) so far.
Just cause I am lazy and never swap the Pather+ pads out for the street doesn't mean I am trying to suggest anything. I've still got a new set of stock pads in the trunk, but I recognize that it would be more efficient to use them.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for what jerry said...if i can lock the brakes why go with a track/street pad? I guess if i changed tires to something more grippy then I might need better pads to not get fade while driving on the track....damn this track driving bitch...she's gonna cost me a lot of money!!!
hehe
Old 07-17-2002, 02:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The OEM pads are really excellent for the street. They have a lower friction level than many aftermarket pads but stop well, wear well, are cheap, and are reasonably quiet and dust free. The only downside to the pads is they won't take the repeated hard stops of the track, but most people don't do that.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:43 PM

I love the OEM pads - when they are at their "optimal operating temperatures" which takes some getting to on the street... otherwise, when they are cold, in my opinion, they suck.

From being in Jerry's car, the Panther XP+ pads seem to have phenomenal cold stopping power and I would look into those. Downside, Jerry says they eat your rotors; the way I look at it though, if I stop two feet short of another object which would cause collision, I'll change my rotors every week if I have to.

Quick Reply: good street pads?