S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Gonna start the engine removal process...

Old 12-13-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Gonna start the engine removal process...

I am going to have my engine fully built and intend on starting the engine removal process this upcoming weekend. I have already removed the turbo kit, intake manifold, and drivetrain (from the driveshaft back) so a fair amount of the work has already been done. I have also already drained the engine coolant and motor oil. This Saturday will be devoted to simply removing the tranny, which shouldn't be too time consuming--I estimate a few hours as I plan on taking pictures along the way and I like to use ziplock bags for the various bolts/nuts/washers and label them appropriately.

Once the tranny is removed I will do whatever else is necessary to remove the engine itself with the exception of actually removing it. I won't actually send the engine out to be built until the ~January timeframe, so I am going to purchase an engine stand until I am ready to prepare it for shipment. I plan on renting a cherry picker to remove the engine from the car, and then attach it to the engine stand. Here are a few pics of the work done thus far:

I am getting more and more confident with my mechanical skills, but I am still barely better than a novice. I would like to take some shop classes sometime, but I just don't have the time for it right now. Anyways, although I have a Helm's manual I would like to hear any special tricks of the trade you all know with regards to this project I am working on. Your input would be gratefully appreciated!
Old 12-13-2007, 11:21 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

what kinda springs are those, and how do you like the koni yellow's compared to oem shocks?
Old 12-14-2007, 04:00 AM

pulling engine is fun. just did a manual swap in my buddys volvo s70 coupe . good luck with the bui;d
Old 12-14-2007, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by jyeung528,Dec 14 2007, 01:21 AM
what kinda springs are those, and how do you like the koni yellow's compared to oem shocks?
It is the Ground Control/Koni shock setup. It is definitely better than stock, but not as good as a true coilover setup. This setup will eventually be replaced by something that is better suited for drag racing.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow Very Nice

Keep taking pics....... if you have time add some text to it it would make a Great DIY
Old 12-15-2007, 02:08 PM

Well, I didn't actually remove the tranny today as originally planned. I removed the shifter from the shift box and disconnected some wires around the tranny. I must have ADHD or something because I got side-tracked and started pulling various components off the engine in preparation for removing the engine itself. Overall I got a fair amount of work done, and here is what my engine bay currently looks like:

Tomorrow is my birthday and my wife and I are going to the Chargers game. I will dedicate next Saturday or Sunday to removing the tranny. Although I am proud of myself for the work I have done thus far, I am fearful of the idea of putting it all back together. It is one thing to remove various parts, but putting them back on correctly is another thing.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:35 PM

as a funny side note, i saw this mechanics dictionary and one of the definitions of an engine hoist/cherry picker was "a tool used to test the tensile strength of hydraulic lines and wires"

good luck with the removal.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by street_ruler,Dec 15 2007, 05:35 PM
good luck with the removal.
Thanks! Once the tranny is removed, the engine extraction will be a piece of cake. Again, putting it back together is another story.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:44 PM

for me putting the motor and tranny back in was quicker, but that's probably because i didn't have to look at the helms as often

good luck mang
Old 12-16-2007, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bigeggroll,Dec 16 2007, 12:44 AM
for me putting the motor and tranny back in was quicker, but that's probably because i didn't have to look at the helms as often

good luck mang
I would think it would take longer seeing as how you need to be concerned with torque specs for each part, which means you are consulting the Helm's manual more.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Gonna start the engine removal process...