S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Going to be installing

Old 01-06-2003, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to be installing

hey going to be installing exhaust on my girlfriends dads S. its Invidia RS*R, and i was wondering if anyone has pics on their exhaust removal, (i.e. underneath the car) or where i could see some. From what i've heard, there are about 3 bollts and an exhaust hanger that must be removed in order to "evacuate " the constricting stock exhaust. I've got basic car skills but never installed an exhaust, and i just want to know what im doing if he is there.. i dont want to start installing the exhaust and have him be like.. uh what are you doing?
any info helps,
thx matt
Old 01-06-2003, 01:04 PM

Spray WD-40 on the bolts to losen them and make sure you have somebody there to help yuo drop the old exhaust.
Old 01-06-2003, 01:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Liquid wrench might be a better option for those 3 cat bolts. Spray them liberally for 2 to 3 days (once each day) prior to disassembly or you'll break one or more of them. You will also have to remove the rear cross member to get the stock exhaust out.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup, and wd-40 on the hangers makes the hanger removal task way easier. Once you get under the car you will see the 3 bolts to remove which connect the cat to the exhaust and you will see 5 hangers, 2 for each muffler and one right in the middle pretty much where the exhaust goes from 1 pipe to two. Hope that helps to get you metally ready
Old 01-07-2003, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by misternapps
hey going to be installing exhaust on my girlfriends dads S. if he is there.. i dont want to start installing the exhaust and have him be like.. uh what are you doing?
any info helps,
thx matt
Smart man. The 6 P's. Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Matt, Your on the right track.

P.S. Wanna date my daughter. Oh, I forgot I don't have a daughter. How about one of my sons
Old 01-07-2003, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed my HKS and here are some notes that I remember. After jacking up the car and placing on jack stands, spray wd-40 on all the hangers and the three bolts that hold the exhaust to the cat. Remove the rear lower tie bar (six bolts). Reomve the bolts from the exhaust first before you remove the exhaust from the hangers. I did the installl by myself and used a jack to bring the exhaust down, (the stock exhaust is really heavy!). Installation is reverse order. Very eazy install.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:21 AM

Ok i will sound completley illeterate here, but i just want to make sure i know EXACTLY what im looking for.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]Liquid wrench might be a better option for those 3 cat bolts.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:31 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by misternapps
[B]Ok i will sound completley illeterate here, but i just want to make sure i know EXACTLY what im looking for.

What is liquid wrench? is that slang for WD40 or am i missing something? Do you have pics of the rear crossmember?
Old 01-10-2003, 01:14 AM

thanks. also i was just checking around and i found this from comptech http://www.comptechusa.com/instructions/ins068.pdf , its a manual that shows what to remove etc. for the install of their exhaust. they say to use a torque wrench, and i've seen several people say that you dont need to use it. I dont have a torque wrench, however can just buy one at sears and take it back if i have to . BUT, i dont want to overtighten the bolts using a 10mm/14mm socket, in case they seize up, and i also dont want to leave it loose so that it falls off. Thanks for the suggestions thus far, thanks again
matt
Old 01-16-2003, 01:40 PM

ttt

Quick Reply: Going to be installing