S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Going to install 4.57.... Any advice ?

Old 05-06-2004, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to install 4.57.... Any advice ?

Never did such thing ... I consider myself as a medium-good mech. ( I will be helped with a friend who is a better mech. than me ) I have the OEM shopmanual, i have a lot of info found on this board and from many web site )
I am meticulous when i do mechanic on my car ( When i adjust the valves for an example )

So what should i care about, what problem i might encountered ?
Thanks
Old 05-06-2004, 05:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sacre bleu!

I think this requires special tools and experience to do this right. Medium-good mechanic might not be good enough even at the certified Technician level - if you mean medium-good by shadetree standards, I would suggest you let a pro do this. This is not just bolting in - there are alignment and tensioning of the gearsets that must be done, and special materials / tecniques used to see how the hypoid gears are lining up.

It is your cal;l - see what tohers say, and Search on topic are my advice.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:34 PM

if memory serves, some of the specs you need for the install differ from what's in the helms so make sure you have all the correct data you need before you continue.

and as far as the install goes by a mechanic, most people would swear by mark basch's work as being one of the finest NSX mechanics in the country. he did my install, and it took around 7 hours of work. i talked to him afterward, and i could tell that it wasn't an easy install. i was glad i passed on doing this particular install myself. part of it, i'm sure, was the fact that it was his first S2000 differential work of that kind he had done.

my point ... it takes an exacting eye and an excellent mechanic to do it right so there's no whining from the differential or other more serious problems.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:55 AM

Thank you for your caring guys but like i said, i have a ton of documentation ( It's amazing how much thing i have found months ago with the search button on this board ... and on the web also.
I was going to ask the mech. at the dealer who used to work on my car, ( he installed my clutch, flywheel, did the first to second gear grinding tsb... ) He don't work for honda anymore ( He started is own company ) but ...
I saw that when installing these gears, sometime you have to assemble and desassemble several time with different spacers of different thickness on the pinion gear untill you have the right gear patern ( You can see this patern when applying prusian blue on the gears ) There's a few things also you have to care when swaping these gears and if i ask my mech. to do it and i have a major differential breakdown just after that or if i have just a noise, i will never be sure if he cared of all of these things instead of rushing the job because he's late in is schedule !!!
So that is why i deceded to read a lot about this and it doesn't look so terrible, you just have to be patient and i am
Thanks,
Al.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Road Rage
Sacre bleu!

What does that mean ????
Old 05-07-2004, 07:56 PM

directly translated from french ... holy blue! or more crass would be holy sh*t. but probably oh my god! would be the best description since the bleu actually is a play on words for the french word Dieu (english: god) so it could be more of a socially accepted term, considering the 'taking the lord's name in vain' deal.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:05 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by t.c.
Originally posted by Road Rage
Sacre bleu!

What does that mean ????
In French class my teacher said it means Sacred Blue. But yah, probably some kind of slang term like what you said wortham
Old 05-07-2004, 11:30 PM

Sacre bleu! = Holy Cow!
Old 05-08-2004, 03:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure to post a thread when you're done so others can benefit from your experiences.

And good luck with the install.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:01 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

You got a source for the various spacers/shims? The thing that sucks is if you don't do diffs on a regular basis, you invest in a whole assortment of shims and never use 90% of them. If your ex-Honda buddy already has the array of shims you're good to go. Make sure you set enough backlash with the lateral adjustment when doing the ink test or you may skew your pinion shim results. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Going to install 4.57.... Any advice ?