S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Going in for clutch TSB -- should I also do gearbox? Need advice!!!!

Old 02-17-2002, 05:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Going in for clutch TSB -- should I also do gearbox? Need advice!!!!

[I posted this ealier on S2000Talk with no success. Thought that some of the motorheads who frequent this forum might be able to make some suggestions.]

Since my car was new, I've had the gear buzzing when decelerating in 2nd and 3rd. It only bothered me when I drove with the top up, so I wasn't in a hurry to get it fixed ( Honda's TSB 54-01 deals with this problem).

I've also had a few odd things happen with the gearbox. The last three or four times when I've been driving very hard as part of a number of group drives, once in a while I've been getting a horrible grind when I downshift from 4th to 3rd (it's happened 5 or 6 times in the past 4 months). When it first happened, I thought I had shifted without depressing the clutch, but when it happened the second time, I knew it was something in the gearbox. I got so spooked by it that I now double clutch all 4 to 3 downshifts, which has eliminated the problem. But if the gearbox is functioning properly, I shouldn't have to double clutch any shifts.

Finally, a few times when I was driving in 4th gear, the gearbox slipped out of 4th into neutral all by itself.

Today, I got a bad grind on one 1-2 upshift., which has only occured once before.

It seems to me that I've got some synchro problems. Until now, I did nothing about these problems because they weren't bad enough for me to want to enturst my car to a dealer -- I've been fearful that the car would come back frm the dealer without the problems properly fixed and damage to boot (I've read too many dealer horror stories on this board)

Today a visit with the Mid-Atlantic club to Jim Coleman Honda changed my mind. Hiroprotaganist organized the event, and we were given a tour of the shop and met the famed S2000 expert, Eddie. The shop was spotless (there must have been at least 20 lifts!) and the staff very professional. Since Hiroprotaganist already had the clutch TSB done at Jim Coleman and was very pleased with the work, I decided to take the plunge and scheduled an appointment to have the work done at the end of this month.

Here's my question. Since the clutch replacement requires dropping the gearbox I thought I should also have the gearbox repaired. There's a new TSB that deals with the problem of slipping out of 4th gear (wich has only happened to me once or twice), so I think I'll have that done. But I'm at a loss about what to do with the 4-3 downshift grind and the apparent occassional synchro problems.

Any advice? What should I ask the good folks at Jim Coleman to do?
Old 02-17-2002, 05:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the clutch replaced twice while trying to fix a noise problem. The second time Honda also replaced the gearbox. My second gearbox has proved to be better than the first. The first exhibited some gear selection problems before replacement, but was generally a normal, nice S2k gearbox. The second is even better - the combination of new clutch and gearbox has produced the best S2k shift I've experienced.
I've also had a bad experience with the same dealership, and technician. You can read about that here.
Despite this bad experience with the heatshields, I'd recommend getting the gearbox replaced at the same time, assuming it's a warranty job. My clutch/gearbox work has not caused any problems. In fact, the car's been at the dealer for warranty work for more times than I care - but I've just been unlucky. I still think problems are very rare. You'll know the build quality of the console and how well it goes together better than anyone I imagine!
So, provided it's warranty work, I'd say get both clutch and gearbox done at the same time. The only thing to ask Jim Coleman to do is make sure they grease the shifter well when reassembling. (I've just re-greased mine as there was next to none there, and I had "ringing shifter").

-Brian.
Old 02-17-2002, 08:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

With those problems I would have them overhaul the tranny - replacing syncro hubs/syncro rings/syncro springs. Have them pay EXTRA special attention to end bearings and their condition - actually you may just want to replace those right off the bat, they shouldnt be terribly expensive, most of the cost will be in the labor.

A bearing with the slightest nick in a ball or needle can eventually ruin a tranny, nicks come from metal shavings, and shavings gome from grinding - there is a strainer and a large magnet in the tranny but they dont get everything. Actually have them remove your speed sensor first and check to see how much metal is stuck to the end. if there is much, then have them drain the fluid and have a look at that if its really bad it will look like glitter but very fine. I doubt its that bad.

Lastly ask if there will be a warranty on the work performed? and that if a future failure outside of the standard warranty will be covered because it may be linked to original gearbox problems.
Old 02-17-2002, 09:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My experience with tranny work (twice, once for 1-2 and once for 4th) has been good, but all problems have not gone away (still have the 1-2 grind when the box is hot). I have never been given the option as to what gets looked at and what gets worked on.. As long as you are looking for warranty work the call is made by the service manager and the district manager. At most dealerships you must either demonstrate the problem or do an awful good job of describing the exact symptoms before AHM will pick up the tab.. and you still don't usually get to specify the parts examined or replaced.
Old 02-17-2002, 10:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, everyone. Your comments are a great help! I'm going to ask them to do the TSB to the tranny and check all the parts and look for damage, then replace anything that's suspicious.
Old 02-17-2002, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definately have the gearbox looked into. The first attempt at the grind fix only made things worse. The second time the tranny was opened the tech noted that many bearings throughout the assembly were failing due to metal debris from the grinding. It was concluded that a replacement assembly was more cost effective than a complete overhaul of the original tranny. The new '02 gearbox has been better than my original tranny in every way.