S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Going on 3rd timing chain tensioner

Old 07-09-2006, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pikkashoe,Jul 9 2006, 09:52 AM
I disagree, my is pretty loud, and mine did just start one day. I have owned my car since it had 7 miles on it. And mine does get the noise at idle and all the way up to about 3,o00 rpms. For me I just dont feel comfortable having it make that noise, coupled with the fact that I just got outside factory warranty, and with my luck, the timing chain will snap if I dont do anything to remedy the issue.
Then we're talking about 2 completely seperate issues. Yours is obviously not making the same sound mine is.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:36 AM

Sounds like we are talking about different things, if you hear my noise, you would not want to have that all the time. Its really annoying. And for a 30,000 dollar car to do this is not right. Well time to clean the vtec solenoid right now, I will keep you guys posted as to what I find.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:20 AM

Well i cleaned the vtec solenoid screen, and nothing. So I started wondering, some have mentioned that low oil pressure might be causing this, so I decided to check my oil, low and behold, I was super super low on oil, had to add 3 quarts to get it back to normal. Now I have a new problem, why was my oil so low. I am very religious when it comes to checking oil, my car only ate oil for the first 3000 miles and then leveled out. I dont see any visible leaks, no oil on the spot where I park in my garage. Is it conceivable that the car will now just start burning oil like this. The car has 36,023 miles on it. Lets get some idea's in here guys. This is really concerning me.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:27 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the back of your car and tailpipes for signs of burning oil. Check your plugs. Do a compression test. One thing that causes sudden excessive use of oil is scoring of the cylinders. This leads rapidly to engine failure. Keep a close eye on it. Check the oil every week and top it off.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:45 AM

What am I checking for when looking at the tailpipes, a white bluish smoke? I dont have any signs of that. Compression check, got it, will get one this week.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:52 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pikkashoe,Jul 9 2006, 10:45 AM
What am I checking for when looking at the tailpipes, a white bluish smoke? I dont have any signs of that. Compression check, got it, will get one this week.
Looking for signs of oil usage, burning etc. Black residue on back of car, tailpipes darkened excessively.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by pikkashoe,Jul 9 2006, 12:45 PM
Low oil would do it too This would also be your Vtec problem .

3qts

Depends how you drive , Mine eats no oil if I drive it normal . If I take it to redline for periods of time it will consume oil . I have always found this to be normal with most S2ks. Hence why everyone says to check your oil every fill up of gas .

Since you have had this problem before with the tensioner I assumed you would have check the oil first .

A day of auto-xing would eat a 1QT of oil for me .Then drive normal for a month with no consumption .

have you been driving it aggressively lately ?

Old 07-09-2006, 10:14 AM

It made person sense once I saw the low oil level, vtec was barely engaging due to the low oil. Yep, just about 3 qts to get it to the high mark on the oil dipstick.

Hmm, I had been driving pretty aggresive, until I got my $350 speeding ticket. I guess I should not over react, and just check my oil at every fill up as recommended.

Well I am glad I did not order a new tensioner, but I do have a new MAP sensor on its way.

So the lesson of the story here, if you have Tensioner Noise, CHECK YOUR OIL FIRST!
Old 07-09-2006, 10:34 AM

[QUOTE=pikkashoe,Jul 9 2006, 10:14 AM] It made person sense once I saw the low oil level, vtec was barely engaging due to the low oil.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:58 PM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

The noise from the chain, resulting from a bad TCT, is a very loud distinct fast ratcheting noise. It is far from normal. If your car has this, you will hear it from 20 feet away.

To date, I have never found a single clogged VTEC screen. I like the theory, but it has not been the cause of issue on the 15 plus s2k's I've done tensioners on.

I'm in the garage now, hope for some answers soon.

Quick Reply: Going on 3rd timing chain tensioner