S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Going on 3rd timing chain tensioner

Old 07-08-2006, 10:13 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

At 129k miles, its probably time for me to check the solenoid screen as well. Looks pretty straightforward.

Good idea and pic, thanks Twitzid.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey twist, you said in your intial post, there are three 10 mm bolts to remove the solenoid, im going to assume the other one is behind the solenoid where u cannot see it in the picture you posted?
Old 07-08-2006, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by pikkashoe,Jul 8 2006, 01:27 PM
Hey twist, you said in your intial post, there are three 10 mm bolts to remove the solenoid, im going to assume the other one is behind the solenoid where u cannot see it in the picture you posted?
Correct
Old 07-08-2006, 10:55 AM

Thanks! I will keep you guys posted.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:40 AM

FWIW, my car (now with 94k miles on it) has made this noise since I bought it at 60k miles. I changed the tensioner out a while back, and perhaps it was my imagination, but the noise seemed to lessen briefly, then returned to normal.

At this point, I'm willing to concede that, aside from the noise itself, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the car. I don't baby it at all, and its never put a foot wrong. I pulled the VTEC solenoid off to check for any debris, and it was clean as a whistle.

So while cleaning your screen may resolve whatever issue you have with VTEC hesitation, I don't know that it's going to resolve the noise. Again, I'd say accept it as normal and don't worry about it. Aside from at idle, you never hear it anyway, and like I said, I've got plenty of miles on mine, all with the noise, and nothing untoward has happened.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:51 AM

That horrible noise cant be normal. Its very annoying to me, I dont know about you guys. I hope the screen cleaning works, otherwise I will order one more Tensioner and see what happens. Sooner or later, this will have to lead to another problem, running the chain loose like that, the noise your hearing, and correct me if I am wrong, is the chain hitting the guides and other things in there, which over the long run, cause excessive wear.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You may just qualify for the first available "Billman TCT".

Hang in there and good luck.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by heffergm,Jul 8 2006, 02:40 PM
FWIW, my car (now with 94k miles on it) has made this noise since I bought it at 60k miles. I changed the tensioner out a while back, and perhaps it was my imagination, but the noise seemed to lessen briefly, then returned to normal.

At this point, I'm willing to concede that, aside from the noise itself, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the car. I don't baby it at all, and its never put a foot wrong. I pulled the VTEC solenoid off to check for any debris, and it was clean as a whistle.

So while cleaning your screen may resolve whatever issue you have with VTEC hesitation, I don't know that it's going to resolve the noise. Again, I'd say accept it as normal and don't worry about it. Aside from at idle, you never hear it anyway, and like I said, I've got plenty of miles on mine, all with the noise, and nothing untoward has happened.
He knows its a posibility and not a surething , but it is a easy fix if it is his problem .
Old 07-09-2006, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by pikkashoe,Jul 8 2006, 02:51 PM
That horrible noise cant be normal. Its very annoying to me, I dont know about you guys. I hope the screen cleaning works, otherwise I will order one more Tensioner and see what happens. Sooner or later, this will have to lead to another problem, running the chain loose like that, the noise your hearing, and correct me if I am wrong, is the chain hitting the guides and other things in there, which over the long run, cause excessive wear.
Again, I doubt it. There are people here with the same noise that have well over 100k miles on their cars without any ill effects. Since it's only at idle, when oil pressure is low anyway, I'm not concerned. If the noise had mysteriously started one day, I'd be worried, but mine's always done it.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:52 AM

I disagree, my is pretty loud, and mine did just start one day. I have owned my car since it had 7 miles on it. And mine does get the noise at idle and all the way up to about 3,o00 rpms. For me I just dont feel comfortable having it make that noise, coupled with the fact that I just got outside factory warranty, and with my luck, the timing chain will snap if I dont do anything to remedy the issue.

Quick Reply: Going on 3rd timing chain tensioner