S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Going on 3rd timing chain tensioner

Old 07-07-2006, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hockey, sorry I changed my thread, I wrote the wrong thing, I was asking how much does it cost to change the chain itself if this is my problem. I have changed my tensioner already twice, and this will be my third.

Would the tensioner have anything to do with my car hesitating in vtec (maybe chain jumping off teeth), or is it safe to say that this is a MAP sensor issue.

Just checked my records, I got this TCT on May 22, and its already failing. Any explanation as to why its doing this so quickly, I have to believe something else is at work here causing this.

Go figure, the minute I went over 36000 miles, the following has happened, my map sensor is failing (stutter in vtec), my cigarette lighter broke, and now this again, the TCT. Whats next = sell the car.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250,Jul 7 2006, 04:02 PM
......I can devote some time to finishing the modded tensioner. stay tuned.
There will be a few of us in line to buy those.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pikkashoe,Jul 7 2006, 05:30 PM
......Would the tensioner have anything to do with my car hesitating in vtec (maybe chain jumping off teeth), or is it safe to say that this is a MAP sensor issue?
No worries, I thought it was strange.

I don't think your chain is jumping. Your engine would be FUBARed if that happened and you'd have alot more than a hesitation in VTEC. More like a BOOM, then some clunking followed by a flashing CEL. Don't ever want to see that.

Hopefully Billman will offer some insight. It is extremely odd how short a time period you made it this time.

Finally, do NOT sell the car. With some luck these problems will be solved and you'll go back to enjoying the car again.

-Hockey
Old 07-07-2006, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hockey,Jul 7 2006, 05:19 PM
I don't think your chain is jumping. Your engine would be FUBARed if that happened and you'd have alot more than a hesitation in VTEC. MOre like a BOOM, then some clunking followed by a flashing CEL. Don't ever want to see that.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:40 PM

Thanks for info Hockey, I can cross that off my list. I would really really love to keep the car, but I cant afford two, and I am getting a deal I cannot turn down on an brand new Infiniti FX 35 with the sports package (20's) . Still have not pulled the trigger yet, but I want to get the S fixed before I sell it. Dont want to pass on the troubles to the new owner.

So anyone know why my Tensioner would only last 3 months!?!??!!?
Old 07-08-2006, 06:40 AM

Don't get a new tensioner .

A few of us were stumped at the shop after trying a few tensioners and still having the problem last night . After further inspection we determined that it might not be getting enough oil pressure . We decided to pull the Vtec solenoid off and see how it gets its oil . What do you know it does go through the solenoid, and the screen to the gasket was full of muck . After cleaning the screen the tensioner problem went away .

Seeing how you say you are also having problems with your vtec , I would bet you are having the same problem .

Easy fix , Just remove the solenoid off the head ( three 10mm bolts ) pull off the gasket and clean it with some break clean or carb cleaner . and reassemble . Make sure no to tighten the 10mm to much as they are soft and tend to stretch or break , 9 ftlb's is all they need to be tight .

Scott
Old 07-08-2006, 08:01 AM

Interesting, that would explain why the brand new tensioner is not working. Doesnt hurt to try this. Billman what do you think about this new theory.

Now before I do this, twiztid, did you clean the screen or the gasket? I would think cleaning the gasket with brake cleaner might be a bit harsh, if the gasket is rubber. Also, dumb question, I sort of have an idea which is the vtec solenoid, but does anyone have a pic? Im very interested in trying this tonight when I get home. Thanks guys, this forum is invaluable.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:41 AM

[QUOTE=pikkashoe,Jul 8 2006, 11:01 AM] Interesting, that would explain why the brand new tensioner is not working.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:48 AM

Does this make sort of a fluttering sound? I notice when taking off there's a fluttering sound, kind of like when you roll your tongue, that goes until around 3k RPM's then stops.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:50 AM

Jakup,

The sound is just like you described, you will also hear it at idle. Sounds like a fluttering,clacking noise. The longer you wait to change it, the more the sound will show up. Sounds like you might need a new TCT or clean the Vtec solenoid like Twitzid said.

Quick Reply: Going on 3rd timing chain tensioner