S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

GM SychroMesh w/ Friction Modifiers

Old 09-20-2005, 05:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A missing part of my story...

Even when the GMSMFM starts degrading it still shifts amazingly well. I'm over 10k miles on this change and it's still great. Who knows, I might be happy with this fluid for a much higher milage for street driving. Here's my distintion. The real determing factor (for me) for changing GMSMFM is shifting into second during autocross. It seems that at around 6k miles I will get an ocassional second gear grind. When this starts happening I consider putting in a fresh dose.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I swear by GMSFM. I started with Honda MTF, it was notchy and grinded shifting into 2nd occasionally. Switched to GMSFM, it ruled, decided to change it after a year and put in some Redline MT-90. Again, it was notchy and gave me gear grinds and would make me cringe when driving my car. Went back to GMSFM. Nothing elimates grinds and provides buttery smooth shifts like GMSFM in MY CAR (results may vary).
Old 09-20-2005, 06:51 AM

I've put Syncromesh in my Evo (traded in) and my S2000. I am very satisfied with the non-notchy shifts. My 1 to 2 shift grind is gone. It's not a big deal if I have to change the stuff out every 10000 miles because the change is pretty easy.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:14 AM

For me:

1) Tough to shift when cold. It could just be me.
I've noticed this with both Honda MTF and GMSMFM. The gearbox is just grumpy until it's warmed up, period.

In my case, I far prefer the feeling of GMSMFM when cold. It's noticeably decreased the frequency of the 2nd gear grind, although it hasn't completely eliminated it.

[QUOTE]
2) Seems to deteriorate quickly? At first I thought it was the best $22 I ever spent on the car.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 19 2005, 10:44 PM

May I remind you that the service manual indicates (under "severe" schedule) that the transmission fluid needs to be changed every 60,000 MILES. ...........
Dave (XViper), Sir, Guru, etc.

It is not everyday that I get to correct you, but the 60k interval caught my eye. I coulda swore it was every 30k under the "severe schedule". I ran out to my car to check the owners manual (also MY2000) and sure enough, 30k. Can't believe it is 90k for "normal driving" conditions.

To the original poster......I use Redline MTL in my car and most all of my clients cars as well. All but 1 of them have loved the improved feel, and have had no complaints of premature degradation of feel.

Regards,
Hockey
Old 09-20-2005, 07:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you guys who use GMSMFM have any concerns about increased heat? I've read about it being too hot for some cars.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockey,Sep 20 2005, 09:37 AM
Dave (XViper), Sir, Guru, etc.

It is not everyday that I get to correct you, but the 60k interval caught my eye. I coulda swore it was every 30k under the "severe schedule". I ran out to my car to check the owners manual (also MY2000) and sure enough, 30k. Can't believe it is 90k for "normal driving" conditions.

To the original poster......I use Redline MTL in my car and most all of my clients cars as well. All but 1 of them have loved the improved feel, and have had no complaints of premature degradation of feel.

Regards,
Hockey
Hockey, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT ....................... for MY'00, that is.

For MY'01 (and I assume later models), it is 60,000 miles under "severe". It is 120,000 MILES under "normal". Honda obviously don't consider changing tranny fluid to be a big issue for this car. However, there are other things that I disagree with Honda about, so this statement can be taken with a grain of salt.

Thanks for keeping me honest.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Whew, I was actually nervous about pointing that out.

(Don't want to upset the MASTER - hahaha)
Old 09-20-2005, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 20 2005, 10:45 AM
Hockey, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT ....................... for MY'00, that is.

For MY'01 (and I assume later models), it is 60,000 miles under "severe". It is 120,000 MILES under "normal". Honda obviously don't consider changing tranny fluid to be a big issue for this car. However, there are other things that I disagree with Honda about, so this statement can be taken with a grain of salt.

Thanks for keeping me honest.
Given this amazing turn in the conversation , I had to go look at the manual for my '04 model. It still recommends 60k miles under severe usage and 120k miles under normal usage. It also specifies "or" every four (4) years, whichever comes first!

The part that surprised me a little, because I didn't remember it being this short, was the schedule for the differential. How about every 15k miles or one (1) year, whichever comes first!! They obviously want us looking at the diff a lot more often.

On the question of the GMSFM, I tried it mainly because of all the glowing reports on this forum. I was also getting tired of the notchyness in the tranny, particularly in the 1>2 shift. The fluid change made a "big" difference at the time and seems to be holding pretty good so far. I made the change at around 13.7k miles and I'm about 50 miles shy of 23k as of this post. I still get a little crunch when cold but it's still a lot better than it was. It's also still fairly hot around here so the tranny's feeling pretty good even when cold. It'll be interesting to see how it does when winter rolls around again.

Maybe my tranny would have done just as well with the Honda fluid? I'll never know now.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by freq,Sep 19 2005, 06:01 PM
For me:

1) Tough to shift when cold. It could just be me.

2) Seems to deteriorate quickly? At first I thought it was the best $22 I ever spent on the car. Now I'm considering going back to Honda MTF.

If I'm losing my mind just tell me.

I switched to the GM Synchromesh a while ago.

1. I get a small second gear grind when cold, just as I got before switching. Otherwise, the transmission works fine.

2. I've had it in there for about 8,000 miles, and I haven't noticed any deterioration in performance. When the transmission is warm, it is buttery smooth, except sometimes on the track it will have a one tooth grind shifting into 4th.

I'll probably try Honda MTF when I change next, but I have not particular issues with the GM stuff.

Quick Reply: GM SychroMesh w/ Friction Modifiers