S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Getting some transmission whine...

Old 01-18-2014, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting some transmission whine...

I recently changed my transmission fluid, but made the stupid mistake of not ordering enough fluid . I decided to put the little bit I had in there since I already drained the old fluid and would have to wait before getting more (amsoil). I drove around for a bit before the rest of the fluid came in and lately I've been hearing a slight high pitched whine (supercharger-like whine sound) when accelerating in 4th/5th gear. It hasn't gotten worse ever since the whole incident happened, but it's still present. Any thoughts on what specifically the whine might be coming from? I have a MY07.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:17 PM

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,676 Posts

There is one bearing in the tranny that could be sensitive to low fluid levels and it won't be lubed properly. The diff is known to whine as well. I've head high pitched sounds at some rpms and in some gears, some of it is just normal mechanical noise, even the air intake system is known to create high pitched whistles. What you are describing doesn't sound too bad, if you get a bad tranny bearing or a bad diff it will be very evident.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:24 PM

Ah ok cool. Yeah I definitely hear all kinds of other mechanical noises all the time, especially during low rpms, but this was a different sound. What would be some of the tall tale signs of a bad bearing/diff besides grinding gears?
Old 01-18-2014, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just received the parts i ordered from hondamajestic for bearings on the secondary shaft. I have a guy that I'm hoping I'll be able to schedule to help me replace the bearings this week.

There are 3 main bearings on the secondary shaft. I believe any one of these three can be the first to go on low transmission fluid level. Additionally, I believe I've read that the oil pump on some certain years have been known to fail on adequate trans oil flow to these bearings.

Mine is whining fairly audibly, to the point it is pretty damn annoying. It's pretty difficult to hear with the top down but with the top up: very obvious. I believe I've pinpointed it with a mechanical stethoscope as the tail shaft bearing (output shaft bearing). I ordered all 3 just in case, since they can all be changed at one time fairly easily once the secondary shaft case is pulled off of the transmission.

Honda will charge $700 for the single tail shaft bearing replacement (parts+labor)
Honda will charge ~$1,000 for all 3 bearing replacements... even though it's only another 5 minutes of labor and the addition bearing parts are like $30 or something stupid...

To answer your main question: secondary shaft bearing noise is a whine that increases in intensity with a direct relationship to speed. Not RPM, not clutch position, not gear selection....just speed (aka driveshaft rotational speed).
Old 01-18-2014, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by jkelley
I have just received the parts i ordered from hondamajestic for bearings on the secondary shaft. I have a guy that I'm hoping I'll be able to schedule to help me replace the bearings this week.

There are 3 main bearings on the secondary shaft. I believe any one of these three can be the first to go on low transmission fluid level. Additionally, I believe I've read that the oil pump on some certain years have been known to fail on adequate trans oil flow to these bearings.

Mine is whining fairly audibly, to the point it is pretty damn annoying. It's pretty difficult to hear with the top down but with the top up: very obvious. I believe I've pinpointed it with a mechanical stethoscope as the tail shaft bearing (output shaft bearing). I ordered all 3 just in case, since they can all be changed at one time fairly easily once the secondary shaft case is pulled off of the transmission.

Honda will charge $700 for the single tail shaft bearing replacement (parts+labor)
Honda will charge ~$1,000 for all 3 bearing replacements... even though it's only another 5 minutes of labor and the addition bearing parts are like $30 or something stupid...

To answer your main question: secondary shaft bearing noise is a whine that increases in intensity with a direct relationship to speed. Not RPM, not clutch position, not gear selection....just speed (aka driveshaft rotational speed).
Damn, gotta love the stealership for that lovely deal . I'm hopeful that this isn't the case, so when you say the sound is in relation with speed do you mean when pressing the gas to accelerate or do you mean just cruising in gear with little to no peddle applied?
Old 01-19-2014, 05:25 AM

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,676 Posts

Originally Posted by RedPhoenixS2K
Ah ok cool. Yeah I definitely hear all kinds of other mechanical noises all the time, especially during low rpms, but this was a different sound. What would be some of the tall tale signs of a bad bearing/diff besides grinding gears?
You won't get any gear grinding as a result of a bad bearing. The tell-tale sign is noise. Just see if it gets louder it will definitely tell you it's bad when it gets to that point.