S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Getting some noises from the rear

Old 12-29-2013, 09:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I'll try to record the sound if I hear it again. Was driving around today doing some errands and didn't get the clicking sound at all =/.. just the constant whirring noise. I think they're caused be two different things and just came on together as coincidence lol. I'll update if anything changes.. thanks for help though guys!
Old 12-30-2013, 01:03 PM

Looks like I spoke too soon! The clicking noise came back today and was more apparent than ever. After hearing it all day, I think it's better to describe it as a ticking noise as I did in my first post. It's coming from the rear or somewhere in the underbody. It sounds like the valvetrain tick our engines have but it's louder and sort of RPM dependent. It's louder when I drive past a car or close to a curb. No noise at idle though. Tried to get a vid but couldn't hear it over the wind noise and my exhaust. It's a constant "tick tick tick tick" depending on the RPM. Any ideas
Old 12-30-2013, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sir, I believe you have a bad wheel bearing.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:08 PM

Yup that's what it sounds like I'm afraid. I think I re-torqued them too late. Looks I'm going to have to sell my AP2 V3's to fund this fix
Old 12-30-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s1mba
Looks like I spoke too soon! The clicking noise came back today and was more apparent than ever. After hearing it all day, I think it's better to describe it as a ticking noise as I did in my first post. It's coming from the rear or somewhere in the underbody. It sounds like the valvetrain tick our engines have but it's louder and sort of RPM dependent. It's louder when I drive past a car or close to a curb. No noise at idle though. Tried to get a vid but couldn't hear it over the wind noise and my exhaust. It's a constant "tick tick tick tick" depending on the RPM. Any ideas
The axle nut doesn't go "tick tick tick." It goes "click" once when taking off and "click" once more when backing up. The take-off and backing up may have to be quite forceful to produce the click, so you may not hear it every time.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:11 PM

Could the ticking noise be coming from a wheel bearing that has already gone bad? I may have re-torqued the axle nuts too late I'm afraid.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:21 PM

Jack it up remove the wheel and the brake calipers accordingly. Use two or three lug nuts to secure the rotor. Try to rock it back and forth. Yes or no? Yes badddd. No goooodd
Old 12-31-2013, 04:29 PM

No play at all at the rotor. I actually told a friend about it and he said it might be the tire balancing weights making the noise. The shop I went to used the old school tire balancing weights which might be causing the noise as they catch the wind. Only explanation I can think off
Old 12-31-2013, 04:51 PM

Ewwww go get some modern weights put on
Old 12-31-2013, 04:51 PM

Worth a shot

Quick Reply: Getting some noises from the rear