S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Getting some noises from the rear

Old 12-25-2013, 10:09 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

try flipping the wheels right to left and test drive to see if they still make the noise with the tires rotating the opposite direction
Old 12-25-2013, 10:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good point, will give that a shot this evening if I can free up some time.

EDIT: vid uploaded in previous post
Old 12-25-2013, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is your caliper sticking, sounds like your pads were dragging.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:36 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

the insides of your tires look like they might be feathering. the white and dark areas look like a sign of it.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by silverstone05
is your caliper sticking, sounds like your pads were dragging.
I didn't really see any uneven surface wear on the rotors and didn't notice a smell. But I'll see if there's any excessive heat after a drive.

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
the insides of your tires look like they might be feathering. the white and dark areas look like a sign of it.
Yeah that's why I've been thinking it's the tires. That's what I get for driving around with a bad alignment! Will upgrade tires maybe in a month or so. Looking into Dunlop Z2's (225/255).

Well I went to re-torque the axle nuts today. Didn't use the torque wrench because I didn't think 250lb/ft would be enough. I found a 1/2inch drive breaker bar in the garage and used that along with a cheat bar.

After unstaking the nut (just used a flat head)

Axle nut off and getting greased

The setup

Before (blue) and after (red)

Going to stake it now and move on the other side.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:35 PM

Update after driving for a couple days:
  • Still getting rotational whirring/humming sound. Sounds more like a howling noise now. Can hear it at low speeds (~15mph) and cruising speeds, while accelerating, and slowing down
  • I'm still getting the intermittent "clicking noise." It sounds more like cards in a bike wheel now :S. No noise at idle and no vibrations.

I'm thinking the first noise is the tires but since I'm getting the second noise as well I'm leaning more towards wheel bearings. Are they bad already?

I'm also wondering about the whining noise you hear in my video. It's at the end when the wheels are slowing down. I asked another member about that and he said it could either be the differential bearing or wheel bearing. I've been getting that while slowing down in parking lots but thought it was the tire. It can't be the tires now since they were in the air. Any ideas?

EDIT: totally forgot to swap tires like Chris mentioned. Will give that a shot!
Old 12-29-2013, 08:58 AM

Slotted rotors make a whirring/power drill noise sometimes. That's normal. And the card in the spoke noise? If it's coming from up front, that's the tct.

Got a go pro?
Old 12-29-2013, 08:59 AM

Wheel bearings sound like realllllyyy loud road noise when you shouldn't have it
Old 12-29-2013, 01:01 PM

I still have OEM rotors. I'm pretty sure the whirring/humming noise is just the tires. Combined with the clicking/card in spoke noise made be think it might be the bearings. The card in the spoke sounds like it's coming from the rear and it's not as "fast" as a TCT if that makes sense.. And it's intermittent. I've only heard it twice the past couple of days. I'm thinking something might be hitting the wheel. You're right about the wheel bearing part. Any troubleshooting to rule out the diff or wheel bearing? Is the whining noise in my vid normal? Not sure if anyone else has that.

I don't really mind the noise as long as I know nothing's wrong. What's weird is I've only starting noticing it once I put on my new wheels. I'll be getting an alignment this week.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:48 PM

hmmm. how long does the clicking noise last?

can you do more video?

and i rewatched your video, nothing unusual to me, but first person is a little differnt.

Quick Reply: Getting some noises from the rear