S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Getting car off ground. No lift or jacks.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyBalls,Apr 24 2008, 05:15 AM
I used the factory jack, found two cinder blocks, jacked the car up used the blocks as jack stands on the frame, worked great
Cinder blocks are not a safe way to hold up a car. The blocks will crumble when they fail. Jack stands are very cheap.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by JoeyBalls,Apr 24 2008, 04:15 AM
I used the factory jack, found two cinder blocks, jacked the car up used the blocks as jack stands on the frame, worked great
please tell me ur kidding.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's the issue? I don't understand. I just have my friend Clark come over.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyBalls,Apr 24 2008, 08:15 AM
Do NOT use cinder blocks to support your car. As mentioned above, they may crumble, and then you may die. Seriously.

I use a combination of ramps and jack stands for cluid changes. Drive the front of the car up onto the ramps, then jack the rear of the car up and support it with jack stands. Use the rear center jack point (differential), place the jack stands under the reinforced seam on the rocker panel, and then it's easy to access the engine, transmission and differential. Make sure that the car is level and your good to go.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:01 AM

I once took my dads back hoe and dug an oil change pit in the yard. I guess if you cannot get acces to a hoe you could dig the hole yourself with a shovel ( I would make it shallow enough to crawl under not walk like mine. Mine was just deep enough you could stand in it. I layed cardboard in the bottom, and chopped stairs with a spade.. Worked awesome. It was like owning your own Jiffy Lube, drop light and all. lol

Very safe and when your done just fill the hole back in and take the grass you sraped off the top and re apply it. looks like it never happned.

Stupid ideas like this happen when your not a your house w/lift and you think for some stupid reason you must just do some thing right now.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sargeant Handbag,Apr 25 2008, 08:01 AM
I once took my dads back hoe and dug an oil change pit in the yard. I guess if you cannot get acces to a hoe you could dig the hole yourself with a shovel ( I would make it shallow enough to crawl under not walk like mine. Mine was just deep enough you could stand in it. I layed cardboard in the bottom, and chopped stairs with a spade.. Worked awesome. It was like owning your own Jiffy Lube, drop light and all. lol
That's the craziest thing I've heard in a while.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:12 PM

Jack stands jack stand jack stands. I can't stress this enough. Listen to everyone except Mr. Cinder block.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by ian05s2k,Apr 24 2008, 04:35 AM
You can get a pretty decent set of jack stands and a floor jack for a decent price. If you are planning on doing the work on your car anyway it is totally worth it. Pretty much you will pay off the set within a few oil changes since you will save a buttload. If you are lowered you will probally need a low profile jack to be able to reach the front and rear jack points though. Those are expensive compared to a regular floor jack, but still worth it in the long run. Do the safe thing and get yourself the right tools.
Jack stands are the cheap so get a set. You'll end up using them all the time. As for the jack you can get a normal one to save $$$ but u will probably have to drive up on 2X4's to squeeze the jack under the car. This is just to raise the car an inch or so to roll the jack in. Just don't use said 2X4's as your jack stands. Would u want 2900 lbs being held above your head with a big stack of Popsicle sticks?
Old 04-26-2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sargeant Handbag,Apr 25 2008, 08:01 AM

Very safe and when your done just fill the hole back in and take the grass you sraped off the top and re apply it. looks like it never happned.

Stupid ideas like this happen when your not a your house w/lift and you think for some stupid reason you must just do some thing right now.
lol
Old 04-28-2008, 03:18 PM

lol i just changed my girl frends oil today, Altima very heavy car, all u need are 2 flat wood blocks wide and long enought to hold ur front tires, or ust get like 4 tall wood, big enoght to carve out a little onramp
exp: .....::::::""""""""""\ something like this so ur car can go ontop the flat surface of the wooden piece. make 4 of these then u have a jack strong enoght to hold ur whole car up in the air free to work anywhere under the car...... ake sure~~ PARKING BREAK!!!! lol my car can sit well over 1 .5 feet off the ground.. good space to work with.. and VERY cheap and maybe more reliable than a jack stand. after placing ur car ontop, make sure u shake ur car around like crazy!!!! to make sure that ur car is in place... if it falls off, then DONT go under~ lol

Quick Reply: Getting car off ground. No lift or jacks.