S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Getting to the Bottom of the Startup Noise

Old 03-08-2007, 10:22 AM
bcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found someone with a video camera, so I will try to take a video of it this weekend.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:27 PM

Received 1,402 Likes on 839 Posts

Pressing the start button while the engine is running is a good way to destroy the starter and flywheel.

Forgive me if I don't want to do it to my car
Old 03-08-2007, 02:15 PM
VAD

Originally Posted by Billman250,Mar 8 2007, 05:27 PM
Pressing the start button while the engine is running is a good way to destroy the starter and flywheel.

Thanks for saying this politely. I was about to go nuts and say it with much less tact.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:19 PM

Add me to the list of people that experience the startup sound, presumably caused by the starter motor sticking. This IS NOT my TCT as I watched the youtube videos of the TCT sound issues and that isn't what my car is doing. My car sounds exactly like the video in this thread. It only happens when I first crank the car on a cold morning after leaving it to sit over night. Doesn't happen on warmer days even if the car has been sitting for several days at a time.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:21 PM
bcs

It's understandable that people wouldn't want to voluntarily cause their car to make horrible sounding noises. That's why I'm going to try to get a good video of it so hopefully you guys will be able to give some ideas.

Everyone knows what it sounds like when you do that...it's just the easiest way to describe it.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:29 PM
bcs

Originally Posted by 90crvtec,Mar 8 2007, 03:19 PM
Add me to the list of people that experience the startup sound, presumably caused by the starter motor sticking. This IS NOT my TCT as I watched the youtube videos of the TCT sound issues and that isn't what my car is doing. My car sounds exactly like the video in this thread. It only happens when I first crank the car on a cold morning after leaving it to sit over night. Doesn't happen on warmer days even if the car has been sitting for several days at a time.
It's very hard to tell the sound in that video...I think because it was done in a garage or something. I think a video from inside the car would be best. I will try to get a few clips of the sound.

As for this video...

You'll hear the three clicks at the start. You have to listen very carefully, just after that when the car starts you can vaguly hear what appears to be the starter grind. If you listen to both of the startups, you can notice a slight difference just after the car starts.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

It sounds as if the start button is held too long. I've been getting this noise every winter when it's super cold out. And not all the time, it's happend 10 times in 100k miles. On morning start ups only. It's so infrequent only for a nano second. and not often enough to worry about. I've grinded gears that drives me more crazy.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Mar 8 2007, 02:27 PM

I know just by reading some of your other posts your very knowledgeable about cars, and yes i'm not exactly a mechanic, but it seems like no matter how some people tell you they are hearing a different sound(about this topic), you are deadset convinced that its always the TEnsioner . I could make a sound clip next time It happens but frankly, i guess like everyone else, we don't really have the time (or dont really want to bother doing it)... Thats why we said, it sounds just like it... (yes i tried it once just to see if its the same, yea i know not too smart, lol)... Not having a sound clip, i think its the best way to describe it to another person convinced that we are hearing something else. lol

So yes, I would politely disagree with you on this one mr bill man.. but your soundclip did help me out though, You've proven our point that the sound that a bad tensioner makes is clearly not the same sound that the OP and others are experiencing. So enough already! its very possible that it could be something else besides that damm tensioner. lol

have a good day
Old 03-08-2007, 08:06 PM
bcs

Another guy with this problem (the other video in here) did another one of the sound. It's still really tough to hear. He did say that he has a comptech exhaust. I have the stock exhaust, so I'm going to see if that makes any difference in being able to hear the sound a little more clearly.

Here is the other video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nSoTfw3rrk
Old 03-09-2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by jimi,Mar 8 2007, 06:09 PM
It sounds as if the start button is held too long. I've been getting this noise every winter when it's super cold out. And not all the time, it's happend 10 times in 100k miles. On morning start ups only. It's so infrequent only for a nano second. and not often enough to worry about. I've grinded gears that drives me more crazy.
To me, you are describing the same noise I hear and I thought it was valve chatter till oil gets circulated in the head! Maybe not?

Quick Reply: Getting to the Bottom of the Startup Noise