S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Gernby eTune

Old 08-22-2024, 09:22 AM

Received 1,229 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Best available scan.
But there are 3 of each. HP, torque, and
air/fuel ratio.

Max power is only slightly increased. No before data only after for either car, this is something we just decided to do out of curiosity one Saturday morning. Purpose of my tune was more mid-rpm power by switching to the high power cam sooner and provide more power under the curve. I can testify the engine revs so much quicker I installed a red-line alarm to avoid tripping the rev limiter all the time. Rev limiter is set to 8500

This is a Mustang dyno which is reputed to be conservative so don't compare the numbers to those designed to produce inflated "cars-and-coffee" numbers.

Both the AP1 and AP2 engines in stock tune produce the same maximum power just at different rpm.

Honda is reputed to have set VTEC to 6000 rpm to provide a noticeable VTEC Yo! sensation and to force the driver to run at high rpm 'cuz there's very little power at low rpms. Lots of rowing thru the gears.

-- Chuck

Old 08-22-2024, 10:24 AM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks Chuck for the dyno. At least this corroborates to an extent my butt dyno and a real dyno for the Gernby tune.

I believe I was in the last batch of people to have received a Gernby tune before he went dark. I've never had my S on a dyno, but I can attest that the car runs without issue and pulls nicely to redline. Similar setup to Chuck, 3,600 VTEC and 8500 redline. My opinion: I don't believe Gernby was fraudulent with his tuning; he did the best he could do as a remote tuner based on the logged data that was sent to him from our cars (his pricing was great, too). Cars that were maintained differently, had different performance parts, and were data logged in different environments.
Old 08-22-2024, 11:54 AM

Received 1,229 Likes on 1,073 Posts

So far only one (1) dyno graph -- and several opinions from guys with AP1 engines.

As noted nine (9) years on my Gernby tune. The Hondata FlashPro hasn't been out of the box since then.

My standing offer: Come to Richmond (the one in Virginia) and experience my tuned car for your self. You need to bring your S2000 'cuz I'll be driving it.

-- Chuck
The following users liked this post:
p3tah (08-22-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 05:16 PM
Jub

Received 415 Likes on 326 Posts

My car is e-tuned by Evans. I'm considering actually using my car for try-hard competition next year and this is convincing me that I really do need to get it actually dyno tuned. I would be curious if you have graphs.

Idk why everyone feels the need to jump to the defense here and post about their feels. It's possible that this is just one instance and something changed on the car since the tune that OP is not aware of. Like, if the tune was done and then PO did something different. People who say their tune is great and just peachy... When is the last time you drove a different car back-to-back with any instrumentation involved? I've driven my car for many years with 3600 RPM engagement and it feels just fine to me. WTF do I know?
The following 2 users liked this post by Jub:
ncrx (08-22-2024), p3tah (08-23-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 06:50 AM

Received 479 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I'll let y'all read and comment. This tune transformed the car. Highly recommend something like this.

Here's the Mustang dyno data for my 2006 Gernby tuned car. (Green line.) 2015 single pull. And a stock 2002 (2003?) AP1 car (red line) we tested at the same time. Both cars have the same intake, cat, and exhaust.

Berk high flow cat.
Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust
K&N FIPK intake.
3600rpm VTEC on my car, 6000rpm on Ryder's.

No VTEC Yo! in the tuned car as the power just rolls on at 3600rpm. Exhaust sound makes a fairly dramatic increase at VTEC engagement. Been 9 years so I don't recall any Butt Dyno impressions but a couple other owners of AP2V2 cars have driven mine in the past few months back-to-back with their own cars and are impressed.

The AP1 car was supercharged shortly after these tests but I've not seen (or don't recall) the results.

(Sorry, I don't recall Ryder's user name right now or I'd tag him so he sees this and fill us in on his supercharger.)

-- Chuck

Looks like the Gernby tune leans the car out everywhere, I'm curious to see what changed with the ignition timing, then again the AP2 engine has higher average piston speed because of the increased stroke, you'd imagine the graph would railroad up and shift to the left a bit.

If I were dyno tuning your car I'd try to make the torque curve a flat as possible across the board, and not go leaner than 12.5 in VTEC.

Last edited by Slowcrash_101; 08-23-2024 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-23-2024, 01:02 PM

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I'll let y'all read and comment. This tune transformed the car. Highly recommend something like this.
The important thing to note here is that this is a dyno of F20C vs F22C. That explains the significant majority of the difference you are seeing here. This dyno graph looks very similar to a typical F20C vs F22C dyno comparison.
Old 08-23-2024, 02:14 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub
My car is e-tuned by Evans. I'm considering actually using my car for try-hard competition next year and this is convincing me that I really do need to get it actually dyno tuned. I would be curious if you have graphs.

Idk why everyone feels the need to jump to the defense here and post about their feels. It's possible that this is just one instance and something changed on the car since the tune that OP is not aware of. Like, if the tune was done and then PO did something different. People who say their tune is great and just peachy... When is the last time you drove a different car back-to-back with any instrumentation involved? I've driven my car for many years with 3600 RPM engagement and it feels just fine to me. WTF do I know?
I don't think anyone was explicitly defending anything or refuting OP's claims regarding his Gernby tune. I completely agree with OP's last statement to take the car to a proper tuner on a dyno.

Posting about what one feels is exactly what you did as well, so what?
The following users liked this post:
noodels (08-23-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 03:21 PM

Received 418 Likes on 382 Posts

A 2L Race engine does not cruise well at low rpmand never will. MX5 may be a better option
Old 08-23-2024, 06:19 PM
Jub

Received 415 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by cenix
I don't think anyone was explicitly defending anything or refuting OP's claims regarding his Gernby tune. I completely agree with OP's last statement to take the car to a proper tuner on a dyno.

Posting about what one feels is exactly what you did as well, so what?
My feels statement was immediately followed up by a "WTF do I know?" Point is, my car feels good but I don't have a dyno sheet and I'm just used to it at this point. It could have lost 10 HP over the last few years gradually and I'd probably be none the wiser. It's a useless data point and I admit to that with the "WTF do I know?" I'm not sure everyone else has that humility.

I was already considering getting my car dyno tuned despite it being e-tuned by a reputable tuner (Evans). This data point shows me that I should absolutely at least verify on dyno, if not dyno tune. I am trying to use my car for competition.
Old 08-24-2024, 05:13 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101

Looks like the Gernby tune leans the car out everywhere,

the AP2 engine has higher average piston speed because of the increased stroke.
Its starting to seem like these are just two stock dyno plots. Ap1vs ap2. Not an ap2 Gernby tune. We know '06+ dbw ap2 run lean compared to ap1and early ap2. That would make more sense than this being a Gernby tune.

To clarify, at stock redlines, ap2 piston speed slower than ap1. At any given rpm below both their redlines, yes, ap2 faster piston speed vs ap1.

Last edited by Car Analogy; 08-24-2024 at 05:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Gernby eTune