S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Gearbox in the Artic North-Norway

Old 01-10-2012, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox in the Artic North-Norway

Hey i have a s2k from 00'. and i live in tromsø in norway, and during this winter i have had som problems whit the gearbox/shifter.
When it gets cold at nigth -5 to -15Degres celcius. And i come out the next moring to have a drive the shifter is completly stuck, i have spoken whit the dealership that had the last service on the car, and the assure me that the oil in the gearbox is the correct one for my car and the environment.

i always park my car in neutral because of this. i have to applay a lot of force for getting it in gear ( A lot of force)

Any good tips?

-Dize

Sorry for the bad English
Old 01-10-2012, 01:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Being that you live in Norway, there must be considerable aftermarket MTL options for you to try. I would concentrate on finding the lowest viscosity full synthetic "W" rated GL4 you can find. Don't waist your time with any MTF gear oils for winter time use.

Have you tried leaving the transmission in gear while it's shut down over night? Maybe just starting it with the car in gear and a warm up period, then driving off in 1st gear for awhile might help in your situation.

BTW, I don't drive my car when it's cold.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:32 AM

Thanks i will look for som low viscosity full synthetic
i will give the 1st gear option a try..
I use the car all year, have no plans in selling it so i dont minde that its winter used.

Thanks you verry mutch
Old 01-10-2012, 03:47 AM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

hmm, have you tried greasing the shifter mechanism and the ball/slave under the car?
Old 01-10-2012, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by starchland
hmm, have you tried greasing the shifter mechanism and the ball/slave under the car?
Nope, but i will now.
Thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 07:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All experiences I have had with difficult shifting can be attributed to incomplete clutch disengagement. The temperatures you are experiencing are not so low that the transmission should require extreme force to shift.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena
All experiences I have had with difficult shifting can be attributed to incomplete clutch disengagement. The temperatures you are experiencing are not so low that the transmission should require extreme force to shift.
Contaminated clutch fluid would definitely present problems with shifting and should be changed out if it's old or aerated. But I would expect there to be problems shifting at any temp instead of just cold (below freezing). Greasing the shifter is also a great idea. But I suspect that the dealership probably used a 75W-90 gear oil instead of Honda MTL, or its synthetic equivalent.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC
Originally Posted by cdelena' timestamp='1326214520' post='21303147
Contaminated clutch fluid would definitely present problems with shifting and should be changed out if it's old or aerated. But I would expect there to be problems shifting at any temp instead of just cold (below freezing). Greasing the shifter is also a great idea. But I suspect that the dealership probably used a 75W-90 gear oil instead of Honda MTL, or its synthetic equivalent.
Its no problem shifting when the car is moving, the problem is when i start the car up in the morning/evening and it have been extreme Tempratures.
Maybe the Dealership is just trying to cover their ass. becaus when i talk to them they said that they had to order the oil form south in norway because they havent had a s2k in before.

But i will try the option of greasing up the shifter.

and the clutch/engine/gear/ and rear axel oil where all replaced when i bougth the car 2-3months ago, i picked up the car whit the private seller at the dealership, i demandet that all the oil was changed, and that i got a "tilstands raport" a report on evrything on the car that was a problem whit, only minor problems like a small tear in the passager seat, and they took sampels of the oil before they replaced it and the only oil that was bad was the oil for the rear axel..

Thanks good that the forum has so many good and experienced menbers
Old 01-10-2012, 05:03 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

if you decide to lube your shifter as per the TSB procedure, you need to check for water leakage (and rust) at the base of the shifter housing. They have been known to leak water into the shifter housing which could be problematic in freezing temps.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It gets cold here in NY too, not as cold as Norway but we can easily hit 0 to 5 degrees F. during the winters. Some don’t drive their S in the cold but since my daily driver needs a clutch right now I have no choice. What I do is turn the key to get all the electronics going and let it sit for 5 seconds, then start the engine with the car in neutral. I then let the car warm up in neutral for about 20 minutes; this way the tranny spins and lubes up at idle before I start driving. If I don’t do this, the clutch and tranny are a bit sluggish. Works for me, I’d give that try…

Quick Reply: Gearbox in the Artic North-Norway