S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Gear Selection problem

Old 12-01-2011, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Selection problem

Hi, first time owning a s2000 and the only s2000 i ever driven. Im not sure what other s2000 drive or feels like but this is what im having trouble with.

Recently had a new clutch fitted and never had this problem with my old worn clutch. After driving for awhile and coming to a stop there are time's when i'm unable to get into gear 1 or 2 and sometimes unable to down shift into 2 while rolling. You cant even push the gear stick to the left from neutral to gear 3, 4 and to the right for gear 5, 6 and reverse, this resulting me aggressively trying to force it into gear 1 or 2 and at times it works and sometime it doesnt go in at all and i have to start off in gear 3 at a stop. I also have difficulties getting out of reverse sometimes, when i say difficulties i mean it wouldnt even get out of reverse gear so i have to reverse abit more and force it out of reverse.

I check my clutch reservoir and it wasnt too low but it could do with a top up which i topped it up and i never had the gear 1 and 2 selection problem again (i dont know if i was lucky but i drove for a whole week without any issues), however there were no leaks inside the clutch pedal or outside. I decided to take the car to the mechanic to get the slave bled and top up again for my own peace of mind (i should have left it as is cause i never had any problem since topping it up). After getting it done the problem came back after a week or so and i check the reservoir and its still full. I am not sure what to do next but this problem is making it very difficult to drive when you cant get into gear 1 at a red light and start off in gear 3. this is my daily, I have never came across anything like this and this is my first time owning s2000 and only 1 i have driven so im not sure if it is common or anybody has come across it. I would be much appreciated with any help.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:08 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by van_q
You cant even push the gear stick to the left from neutral to gear 3, 4 and to the right for gear 5, 6 and reverse
Here's your first concern.

Test: operate the trans with the car off. Does the problem go away?

If yes, you have a dragging disc due to rust or blem on the input spline, air in clutch hydraulics, or the disc got bent during install. did they drop the subframe, or cheat and pry the engine back?

If no, then the problem lies directly with the shifter (it was removed for clutch install)
Old 12-02-2011, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you mean by operate the trans when the car is off, the problem is still there even with the engine off, as far as im concern he has told me the car engine was dropped etc... during installation of new clutch. Only thing unusualy was Reverse was abit rough but over all every gaear was fine and i thought it needed some wearing for the new clutch. However after a week or so the problem was minor but has now gotten to become more frequently.

I notice the reservoir was low and topped it up at first and the problem wasnt there for a week. I bled the Slave cylinder for my peace of mind and after a week the problem came back. The reservoir is full and there is no leak around the foot inside.