S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Gear Grinding at the Track.

Old 05-31-2002, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a lot of gear grinding going in my car on at the Pahrump track, where the weather was rather warm.

My trans is not really that prone to grinding, and I tend to change the trans oil when it seems that there is a tendency to do so, with relief for awhile.

The thing is, I changed the trans oil just before the track event using Honda's MTL. Shortly after the change (had Honda MTL in previously) I noticed difficulty getting into reverse or even first gear at times.

In the cooler SoCal weather now, there is no grinding.

This tranmission to a reliable one is like to , imo.
Old 05-31-2002, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My gears grind quite a bit at the track as well. I am thinking either I am letting up on the clutch to early not allowing it to get in gear or not pushing the clutch down far enough. On the streets it seems fine.
Old 05-31-2002, 03:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Has anyone tried a clutch fluid change and adjustment?
Old 05-31-2002, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by xviper
Has anyone tried a clutch fluid change and adjustment?
Yes, I think for me it is just driver error....
Old 05-31-2002, 07:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My transmission clearly has a problem when extremely hot and will grind a 1 - 2 shift even with the clutch fully depressed and a slow shift, especially the first shift after coming off a long high speed run (the clutch fluid had been changed and is properly adjusted).

But I seldom do a 1 - 2 shift at the track so it is not a problem.. but I have had a grind or two at the track going into fourth or fifth. I attribute these to sloppy inputs where I am rushing a shift while paying attention to something else (4 or 5 never grind on the street).
Old 05-31-2002, 10:07 PM

I've had difficulty getting into fifth at the track a few times - I just assumed it was driver error, but now I'm beginning to wonder...
Old 05-31-2002, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I too was having a lot of grinding going from 3->2 and some times on upshifts at pahrump last weekend.

I think it was the heat. And going from 90+mph in 3rd to ~60 and trying to get the car into second.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting too, I change my tranny fluid also (from and to honda mtl) just before the track. I had about 600 mile drive from my house to pahrump without any grinding issues.
Old 06-01-2002, 01:13 AM

Maybe this is a sign of a clutch that's getting worn out? I didn't grind my gear once at the track. My car had almost 20,000 miles and the last tranny fluid change was done at 12,000 miles.
Old 06-01-2002, 04:41 AM

IMHO -- it is driver error most of the time. I THINK it has to do with the arch in my shoe. I THINK I get 1-2 gear grind when there is the combo of the following two factors : 1) the clutch pedal nests in the arch of my shoe (solution - be sure the ball of the foot part of the shoe is on the pedal OR -- maybe a bigger (taller -- or thicker) pedal ??) AND 2) I let up just a smidge either before or as I move the shift lever from first to second.

Perhaps we should do a poll to see the shoe size of people who suffer from gear grind -- it would be interesting to see if people with larger feet have more gear grind and visa versa. The floor configuration down there makes it so that the heel or toe of a larger foot can hit the floor before the pedal is depressed all the way -- especially if the pedal is nesting in the arch of the shoe...

Any thoughts on this theory ???

Eliot

Quick Reply: Gear Grinding at the Track.