S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Gear change gets worse as the car warms up

Old 08-12-2015, 03:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gear change gets worse as the car warms up

2003 UK AP1

An odd one that's been going on for a while...

When I set off in the morning with a cold gear box the shift feel is really good, like a hot knife through butter but within a minute or so of driving it all starts to get a bit notchy. It stays this way for the rest of the trip and only starts to feel 'normal' when I'm shifting at 8k+ (the solution maybe )

The box fluid was replaced 9 months ago with Redline MTL, the clutch fluid was changed and bled last weekend, but the situation is the same.

I wondered if the clutch is dragging or sticking, I've noticed before when I've been in a queue nudging forward in 1st gear sometimes I get a driveline clunk when selecting 1st from being sat in neutral with the clutch up. Possibly related?

Any help appreciated
Old 08-12-2015, 07:17 AM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

That nudge is normal. You probably only notice it now because you are hyper focused on observing clutch behaviour. If you pause a little before putting in gear, you won't get that bump. Push clutch, pause, then push into first.

So I don't think that is related.

It sounds like clutch is dragging. But it only starts dragging after its warmed up. Maybe clutch barely disengages, and warming up it expands a bit, then it doesnt fully disengage, so it drags.

You already bleed and changed clutch fluid. One thing I didn't see you mention is adjusting clutch rod. Under the dash, where the pedal pushes in the MC, the rod that pushes on the back of MC, is adjustable. Need to remove play.

12mm open end wrench. Loosen lock nut, turn rod by hand to adjust play. Adjust so rod just starts to push on MC piston (zero play). There is enough play in MC itself, no additional play needed in rod.

Try that. Let us know.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a try at the weekend and see what happens
Old 08-13-2015, 07:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In addition to what Car Analogy said, you may try switching to Redline MT90.

My shifting experience sounds identical to yours; cold fluid felt great, but once warm, nagging 3rd gear grind reared it's head.

MT90 is fairly thick. The only issue I could see is it being too thick in cold climates (some people mix different Redline MTF's to get their ideal thickness). I'm in Texas, so no cold weather worries for me).
Old 08-16-2015, 12:52 PM

I adjusted the clutch rod yesterday to take out the free play, there is still a bit but this is within the m/cyl.

Anyway I took it for a test drive and it definitely felt better than before, but the 2nd to 3rd notch/kick is still there.

One thing I noticed is once the free play had been removed there wasn't much thread left in the clevis, maybe 2 threads max so right at the end of its adjustment range (not great). Why would so much free play appear in the mechanism?
Old 08-17-2015, 04:24 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

The first gear clunk is normal, you can avoid it by feinting second. IOW clutch in move shifter as if going to second, but don't go all the way, then slide it to 1st.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:45 AM

Is the engagement point real high on the pedal? How many miles on your clutch?

I got a new clutch last week, and it made a large difference in how the car shifts. Maybe you're is about done?
Old 08-17-2015, 10:34 AM

The biting point is pretty much at the top and the clutch has got 75k on it so it could be on its way out
Old 08-17-2015, 03:51 PM

Mine had 85k miles.

I didnt realize that is was as worn as it was. I took my car to a well respected s2000 mechanic to do the AP2 retainer upgrade, and he immediately noticed how worn the clutch was. He could tell based on how high it was biting, and how heavy the pedal was. Based on his reputation, I trusted him and had him swap it (not long until it would have started slipping).

He used a stock clutch kit mated to a lightweight flywheel, and it feels amazing! Once done, I could immediately tell just how bad the old one was. As expected, the pedal feels better, but what surprised me was how different the shifts feel. Transmission is much less notchy and way smoother than before.

I've replaced clutches in other cars, and never experienced such a vast improvement through the gear shifter.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:38 PM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

^what year is your car?

Quick Reply: Gear change gets worse as the car warms up