S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Gauges: Most importian?

Old 04-25-2004, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauges: Most importian?

So I recieved my Defi BF series gauges and controller yesterday and came to an obvious conclusion: I can only fit TWO gauges in my A pod and there is NO other place to put the third unless it looks "hacked". Soooo..

From Boost, Oil pressure and EGT, which one should I eliminate?

Your suggestions would help and reasons would be great!
Old 04-25-2004, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get rid of Boost - if you lose boost, you will know it. If you lose oil pressure, or it begins to drop over time, you can save an engine. By ECT do you meat engine coolant temp, or is it a typo and you eman EGT? Either way, either of those gauges can also be a warning that something catastrophic could be happening, giving you time to correct or cut the engine before it happens.

Plus, who looks at boost when you are using it? You should be looking at the road! Boost gauges in the Cobra's have always been for bragging rights in my opinion. Never looked at mine, except when I took delivery, because the car was not making any (a hose had come loose).
Old 04-25-2004, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would keep the boost gauge and the egt gauge. Oil pressure information should be ok with the check engine light. Boost info (especially if it has peak hold memory) and exhaust gas temp are vital info needing to be monitored in a turbo or supercharged application.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:01 PM

I would do oil pressure and egt. If you have a boost controller like greddy ect you can watch it off of that. But if it were me I would make them all fit some how they are all very important.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by terd ferguson
I would keep the boost gauge and the egt gauge. Oil pressure information should be ok with the check engine light. Boost info (especially if it has peak hold memory) and exhaust gas temp are vital info needing to be monitored in a turbo or supercharged application.
when the check engine light goes off it's already too late.. oil is already too low
Old 04-25-2004, 07:52 PM

Mount the Oil and the EGT in the pod. Unless you are using a turbo in wich I would put the boost and the EGT. Put the oil just under the dash to the left or something similar. I am not sure to the extenct of the oil being low at what level for the light to come on but on turbo a high boost spike or high EGT is going to either detonate the motor or overheat it and boil the water out. Low oil at least still has oil to somewhat lubricate parts. You will want the gauge somewhere in the long run. I actually just plan on an EGT and A/F for when SC becomes reality.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:23 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wannabuy
Mount the Oil and the EGT in the pod.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:34 PM

Oil pressure is useful. When I lost my billet Comptech oil cap at Streets of Willow Springs, my oil pressure and temp. told me immediately.

I know you already bought Defi, but Spa gauges have double read out, so you can get 4 readings in the space of 2.

You could sell the Defi and get the Spa.

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/interio...gn/dual_gauges/
Old 04-26-2004, 03:21 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Drop the boost, road rage hit the nail on the head. You will know when you have no boost, bu if you loose oil bye bye engine.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:36 PM

keep the Boost...u wanna know if there is BOOST CREEP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quick Reply: Gauges: Most importian?