S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Gauge install where to find power?!

Old 05-08-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gauge install where to find power?!

I have 2 aem gauges. One is their boost gauge the other is the wideband UEGO A/F gauge. I have everything together I just need the power and the dimmer connections. The ground connection is easy enough I am just going to the nut right above the hood "popper"

A search returned this
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...#entry13067011

wonderful DIY however I don't really want to tap off the wire +12v that they show.
SPEC OPS mentions in a thread that there are 3 open spots in the fuse box for adding. One for lights, one for power, and one for constant power that will drain your battery. However I can't find any pics on that and I don't really know what SPEC OPS is talking about.

I have an 03 if anyone has pics of where they tied their gauges in into the fusebox I'd love to see them.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:03 PM

Ok so after some more research I think I've found the three tap in points i've heard about

can anyone verify this. That image came from
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry3055850

just curious as to what other people have done.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:40 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

That is a good power source. You need to fuse it though.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:07 PM

what kind of fuse would you use there...30amp?

also is this the ACC for the car? im installing nitrous this week and was looking for a power source and this looks like the PERFECT place for it. everything is relayed( bottle heater, purge, and nitrous solenoid) also a main 30AMP inline fuse for power.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:04 PM

I don't know if it is the ACC for the car or not. However I do know one is a the ACC, one works off the headlights I believe, and one is constant power if you have a voltmeter you can figure it out pretty easily.

So basically if I was tapping there to run my two gauges I would have to run a relay to a seperate fuse box and then from the relayed fuse box back to the gauge??
Old 05-09-2010, 09:06 PM

If I am running two power wires. A better alternative to running a relay, I believe it would be easier to just splice the appropriate wire. It's not like either gauge is pulling an abundance of power from the designated power source any way. Anyone have any information on that???

Is there a wire I can just splice and be done with this.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:24 PM

ha this is what i did for my aem wideband...i have an aftermarket head unit and just tapped into the acc and ground in there. works like a charm but i dont want to tap a WHOLE like termial strip into that. i dont trust it.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:29 PM

you can easily do what i did with the ACC wire in the radio and use that ground as well. 2 gauges will be fine but i wouldnt do anymore then that in that area. i wish i could run my wires to that and be done with it.

wow im an idiot. if you look at the picture there are 3 sockets there that you can plug into kinda. the last one as show in the picture is hot when car is turned to ACC. i found where my wire goes, i have been looking for a while now. lol
Old 05-10-2010, 07:19 AM

yea the only issue with tapping into one of those sockets is that it needs to be fused so you would have to run a relay and such.

The theory behind a fuse is that if something goes wrong with the electric you don't want the wire to be the weakest point. Idea being it's easier to replace a one dollar fuse that just cracks when it recieves too much power. The alternative to not fusing it becomes the wire would melt and you would have to replace the whole line PITA.

tapping the radio acc is a fine idea I was just looking for something closer to where the ecu is because my wires don't even make it to the clutch pedal.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

you don't need an actual relay to run a fuse--just a wire out of the fuse box and an inline fuse a few inches away from the fusebox of whatever size is appropriate for whatever you're runing off that wire.
you can get inline fuse holders at Radio Shack, Wal-mart or most auto parts stores for $2-3.

Quick Reply: Gauge install where to find power?!