S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Gauge Cluster Lights...

Old 01-24-2008, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge Cluster Lights...

My gauge cluster lights pulsate... from dim to brighter when I turn my car on. It has never had this problem until today. They fade in and out... This is my second s2000... and my first one had the same problem but the dealer fixed it. The dealer said it was the "alternator and they replaced it" (whether or not that's a true story will never be solved). Basically what's your opinion on it? Is it a weak battery, or a weak alternator? Thanks in davance.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redes2k,Jan 24 2008, 11:22 PM
My gauge cluster lights pulsate... from dim to brighter when I turn my car on. It has never had this problem until today. They fade in and out... This is my second s2000... and my first one had the same problem but the dealer fixed it. The dealer said it was the "alternator and they replaced it" (whether or not that's a true story will never be solved). Basically what's your opinion on it? Is it a weak battery, or a weak alternator? Thanks in davance.
big ground or bad alternator

a battery's sole job is to give the starter enough amp to crank the car, that's it.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:42 AM

yeah i didnt think it was my battery really because the car starts with no issues, and starts relatively quick. It could also be a bad ground, but finding that would be like a needle in a hay stack right? Also as for as my ac/heater components go... at night (on the knob where you turn the air on your feet/face/defroster/) half of the lights go out, and if i hit the knob a few times, it turns back on? Is that maybe because of the same alternator/bad ground... or some wires might be loose in the back? Thanks!
Old 01-25-2008, 06:53 AM
Community Organizer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Its the battery. I have had to replace 2 batteries during the life of my S2000 and in both cases the first sign that the battery was getting weak was a dim pulsing display. Just to rule it out, go to advanced or the like and have your battery checked. Knock out possibilities as you go.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my money is on the alternator..
Old 01-25-2008, 10:23 AM

When the car is on, does it strictly run off the alternator? Also as far as my climate control lights, would it be the same problem, or a loose bulb in the back or something?
Old 01-25-2008, 10:49 AM

I had this problem and s2ki deemed that my alternator was gonna die any second

However it did not and I drove a couple months with pulsating gauges.

I eventually decided to buy a new alternator. It fixed the problem but a couple months later (now) it does it very slightly.

To answer your question:

Yes when the car is on, it strictly runs off the alternator (majority of the time). You should be able to start the car and disconnct the negative side of your battery and the car should remain on. If not your alternator is dead.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jack.tsu,Jan 25 2008, 02:49 PM
To answer your question:

Yes when the car is on, it strictly runs off the alternator (majority of the time). You should be able to start the car and disconnct the negative side of your battery and the car should remain on. If not your alternator is dead.
Incorrect. A car is always running off the battery. The alternator just feeds new juice to that battery when it's running and keeps it charged. A car will run without an alternator, but only as long as the battery has juice

I've had a friend who's alternator died so we charged up his battery and he would drive lights off, stereo, fan, etc off until he got home and he was able to do about 60 miles with only 1 charge in between.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by daktruckie99,Jan 25 2008, 07:04 PM
Incorrect. A car is always running off the battery. The alternator just feeds new juice to that battery when it's running and keeps it charged. A car will run without an alternator, but only as long as the battery has juice

I've had a friend who's alternator died so we charged up his battery and he would drive lights off, stereo, fan, etc off until he got home and he was able to do about 60 miles with only 1 charge in between.
Youre right. I did that "driving on the battery" stint for about 2 weeks on my 240sx.

But... I'm right too! Your car WILL run off just the alternator as long as something gets it started. Push start, battery, whatever...
Old 01-26-2008, 10:05 AM

bmp

Quick Reply: Gauge Cluster Lights...