S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Gauge cluster lights

Old 09-19-2004, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge cluster lights

I recently took my gauge cluster out and when installing it again the lights for it will not work, I found a 7.5 fuse under the dash that was the problem and replaced it( instrument lights) after doing this it worked and within a second or so I had the same problem but now the fuse is fine but I still get no lights for the tach or the Mph I cant seem to find a problem in the fuse box at all. When I put the key in the ignition it will start but still no lights. I still get interior lights I also still get the light for the battery and the green key light on the cluster but that is it no SRS no CHECK ENGINE no TACH no MPH

NEED HELP Please

thanks
Old 09-19-2004, 03:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

i do not know what your exact problem is, but if your car worked for a second adn then not after a fuse change it could be that you have a short, you have to take it all out again and redo it, making sure there is no metal contact or exposed wires touching...if it worked before you took it apart then it really should after you put it together, if all you did was take it apart...so logic tells me (and experience in your shoes) that somehow you did not put it together again the same way...hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:56 PM

I agree completly there is a short some where and there is some other fuse that is blown but I dont know where. The whole dash is undone and I cant find any thing the fuse that blew is not broken any more but I still have the same result. I know there is something I am missing but not sure what..

Thanks though
Old 09-19-2004, 06:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A blown fuse may not always "look" blown. Try anther fuse or check it for continuity.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:26 PM

Ok so I replaced all the fuses in the cabin and all the small ones in the engine bay. Still no luck.

Does any one no if it is possible to short out the entire gauge cluster??? or if there is a fuse in the cluster.

The only fuses that I have not changed are the bigger ones in the engine bay.

I know it is a fuse problem but cant find the problem....

Xviper continuity???? what you mean. more info
Old 09-19-2004, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by bronzed,Sep 19 2004, 10:26 PM
Xviper continuity???? what you mean. more info
Since you've changed all the fuses, there's not need to do this but I'll explain anyway.
On most multimeters (those things that measure volts, amps, ohms, etc.) there is a setting that tests for "continuity". You basically put the two electrodes from the multimeter onto the two terminals of the device you want to check. If the wire in the device (eg. fuse, light bulb) is not broken (or continuous), the meter will tell you.

I don't think the instrument cluster has its own fuse within, but I've not taken one apart so I can't guaranty this. Since the cluster is driven by the ECU, have you tried to do an ECU reset? Is it possible that you damaged the signal wires from the ECU? Do you see a "ribbon" cable like in a computer? Maybe check to see if this is intact and if the ends are solidly connected.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Did you replace the fuses with OEM sizes? If you put a larger than standard fuse in place of a blown fuse, then you may have just fried something in the cluster. The fuse should always be the "weakest link" in a circuit. Replacing a blown fuse with a larger fuse usually just causes something else to be the weak link.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to chime in and answer viper's question... NO. There is no fuse in the gauge cluster.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:48 AM

thanks guys

i didnt change the fuse with one of the wrong size so I hope that is not the problem.

I have not tried to reset the computer I tried the battery.

and it looks like I might have to check for continuity.

It is wierd every thing works even the turn signal lights and the high beams but nothing else on the cluster.... I know it is a fuse... maybe a relay short??? is that possible???

thanks
Old 09-20-2004, 08:33 PM

help

Quick Reply: Gauge cluster lights