S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

gas refill tank top plastic fell into gas tank

Old 09-04-2015, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas refill tank top plastic fell into gas tank

I was refilling my s2k since it was empty on gas. The top part of the tank a little plastic piece got stuck and fell into the gas tank. Is there a way to get that piece out? Any recommendations?
Old 09-04-2015, 07:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out page 3 http://www.crvownersclub.com/TSBs/2004/04-002.pdf. Depending on the size of the piece there's a good chance its still in the fuel filler neck. I would check that first because completely removing the tank is a little more involved.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:24 AM

Thank you, I will check it. Do you think it needs to be checked immediately? I wont have time to do it till Monday.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What kind of little plastic piece; what was it from?

If it was small it could have made its way down into the tank. The fuel pump as a filter sock on the bottom of it so you don't have to worry about it being sucked up by the pump or anything.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:26 PM

Received 444 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by solitarycheese
Check out page 3 http://www.crvownersclub.com/TSBs/2004/04-002.pdf. Depending on the size of the piece there's a good chance its still in the fuel filler neck. I would check that first because completely removing the tank is a little more involved.
Oh yeah, completely dropping the rear subframe and diff, no big deal.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:36 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

If it was a good bit smaller than the fuel filler neck I'd leave it alone, it won't do any harm in the tank IMO.

So where did the plastic piece come from ?
Old 09-06-2015, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
If it was a good bit smaller than the fuel filler neck I'd leave it alone, it won't do any harm in the tank IMO.

So, the top piece of the 1 gallon gas tanks that we use to refill, the top part came off the portion that gets pushed down to start the flow of gas into the tank. I think it went in. What's the worse that could happen? I guess I'll chance it.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:46 AM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Originally Posted by tehsu
Originally Posted by zeroptzero' timestamp='1441417000' post='23737751

So, the top piece of the 1 gallon gas tanks that we use to refill, the top part came off the portion that gets pushed down to start the flow of gas into the tank. I think it went in. What's the worse that could happen? I guess I'll chance it.
It is likely sitting at the bottom of the tank, it shouldn't harm anything. The fuel pump has a pre-filter sock and a fuel filter built into the assembly, a plastic cap won't affect the fuel pick-up assembly.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Originally Posted by tehsu' timestamp='1441603873' post='23739193
[quote name='zeroptzero' timestamp='1441417000' post='23737751']

It is likely sitting at the bottom of the tank, it shouldn't harm anything. The fuel pump has a pre-filter sock and a fuel filter built into the assembly, a plastic cap won't affect the fuel pick-up assembly.
[/quote]

Appreciate the information.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:15 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by tehsu
So, the top piece of the 1 gallon gas tanks that we use to refill, the top part came off the portion that gets pushed down to start the flow of gas into the tank.
Those new filler tubes are a royal pain. The morons that mandated those things to meet government regs should be fired for incompetence. Because they are so difficult to use, they cause more fuel to be spilled than they were designed to prevent.

You should file a complaint with the EPA and demand that they pay to get that piece out of your tank. It's their regs that caused that to happen in the first place.

It is extremely difficult to put gas in your tank with those tubes and almost impossible to fill a lawn mower tank without spilling gas all over the place. If my wife or anyone like her had to use one in an emergency she would be screwed.

Quick Reply: gas refill tank top plastic fell into gas tank