S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

gas flapper gone/ inside gas tank

Old 11-10-2005, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down gas flapper gone/ inside gas tank

I am not sure what is exactly called but the spring loaded flapper that is located just inside of the gas tank fill point (after the gas cap is taken off) is gone.
The only place I could think it could have gone is down the fill pipe/into the gas tank.
I went by the local dealership here in Huntsville (I am on vacation) and they stated that it was not a problem that the flap was in the gas tank and not to worry about it.
They said it only there to prevent inadvertent fuel from splashing out during fill up.
Which I think is a bunch of BS! its open when you are filling up the pump nozzle pushes it open so how is it going to prevent a splash of fuel from getting on the car!!!

The car is still under the full bumper to bumper warranty (20241 mi MY04).
Once I get back to FL is it worth it to get the piece removed from the tank and have a new fill nozzle replacement put on???

Its got to be there for a bigger reason than preventing splashing.

I am worried the flapper piece could cause damage to part of the fuel system (gas pick up point becomes restricted/ possibly damages the pump in some way)

Any one else had this problem????
Old 11-10-2005, 08:29 PM

The fuel pump pulls the gas through a gauze filter 'bag'. It most likely will not get past that. Mine broke off too. Not sure where it is, but I feel safer knowing it is in the gas tank and the dealer has not touched it.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Quite frankly, I don't ever recall there being one on my car. Are you sure you had one once?
Old 11-10-2005, 09:03 PM
Former Moderator

My car never had one. I recently replaced my fuel filler neck because it was stripping gas caps... no flapper on the new one either.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Nov 10 2005, 10:03 PM
My car never had one. I recently replaced my fuel filler neck because it was stripping gas caps... no flapper on the new one either.
My 02 does that too. I have to apply pressure and turn the cap. Is it easy to replace? I think this would be worth doing.

Old 11-11-2005, 05:55 AM

How much work is it to replace the filler nozzle.
Can it be accessed from the fender or does one need to get behind the interior trunk panels.(after the little nuts are moved from inside the gas door)

I ask because I have a audio setup that I would prefer not to move. Not that it is hard to remove the audio stuff its just a hassle.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by deppenma,Nov 11 2005, 08:55 AM
How much work is it to replace the filler nozzle.
Can it be accessed from the fender or does one need to get behind the interior trunk panels.(after the little nuts are moved from inside the gas door)
Why do you need to replace it? Your first question was regarding the "flapper" valve, which we now know is non-existent for this car. Is there something else you are having an issue with?

Re: this statement:
I went by the local dealership here in Huntsville (I am on vacation) and they stated that it was not a problem that the flap was in the gas tank and not to worry about it.
You dealership sounds like they haven't got a clue what's going on with an S2000. It's pretty easy to say you'll have no problem with a missing part when that part never existed in the first place.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't see one on my 05...maybe it's hanging out with all my missing socks.
The following users liked this post:
I.s.ai (05-02-2019)
Old 11-11-2005, 03:25 PM

I know it had one at one point because I had an over flow of injector cleaner when i tried to just por it in @ 10000 miles I had to push it open with a funnel.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, i have never seen the valve you speak of on any S2000.

Quick Reply: gas flapper gone/ inside gas tank