S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Gas cap leaking gas?

Old 09-24-2005, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas cap leaking gas?

Okay, I only drive my MY02 every few days or so, but the other day I filled it up with gas, so it had a full tank of gas in it. Well, today, a few days later, I was out driving and had put about 14 miles since fillup. After I parked the car, a moment later my dad pointed out that it was leaking something. I went out and looked and there was gas dribbling down the quarterpanel from the gas cap. I quickly opened the gas door and popped the cap off(which was not even on there tightly, but I made sure it was clicked tightly when I filled up) There was a lot of gas sitting in the cap, like it was not able to get down to the gas tank. I screwed the cap back on and drove over to a nearby hill and parked in facing down on the incline and tried it again and the gas wasn't there.

My question is, has anyone experienced these caps working their way off on their own? Anybody know what might have made the gas go up to the top of the filler tube? When I filled it up the other day, i did not top it off to the brim like some people do because I have had it spill out before. And my CEL has NOT come on like it has before for loose gas cap.

Anybody with help is appreciated.

Mike Clark
KYBacon102@yahoo.com
Old 09-24-2005, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this problem. There is a TSB that replaces the filler neck. TSB-A04-002 applies to all 2002's and certain '03 VIN's. I left the gas drippings on the fender when I took it to the dealer to have the work done.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Former Sponsor

You did not cap the gas cap correctly...meaning it wasn't capped on straight. Therefor cap backed itself out. It happened to me before...you have make sure the gas cap is screwed in straight.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow_S2K,Sep 24 2005, 04:11 PM
You did not cap the gas cap correctly...meaning it wasn't capped on straight. Therefor cap backed itself out. It happened to me before...you have make sure the gas cap is screwed in straight.
Yes, but ALL 2002 S2000s were delivered with fuel filler caps that have slightly messed up threads. Unless you have had the fuel filler tube replaced, these little problems with the gas cap not going on right will only get worse. And replacing the gas cap is only a temporary fix, because it is the filler tube neck that is the problem.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:26 AM

Thanks. That makes sense, since I have had my cap back itself off two other times, and I was pretty sure that I had tightened it really good. My car just went out of warranty last month, will the dealer honor this TSP?? Should I just go talk to them about it and explain this or should I have the TSB printed out? I also have to correct the TSB on my car for the driver's window not rolling all the way down when putting the top down.

Thanks for the help.

Mike C
Old 09-26-2005, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was done at 52k -- well out of warranty, and did not cost me anything. The dealer initally told me that there were no TSB's that applied to my VIN. This particular TSB applies to 'all' 2002's, and did not come up in a VIN search through their system. I had them look it up by number before I made the appointment. Once I brought it in, they called and said they couldn't authorize the fix without first being able to verify the CEL code in the ECU. I told them that if they really needed the code I would just pickup the car, unscrew the gas cap and drive around until the ECU threw the code. Since I had gas residue all over the fender, they authorized the fix.