S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Gargling noise from rear end?

Old 07-30-2009, 09:22 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Gargling noise from rear end?

I hear a fairly quiet gargling noise, kind of like when you squeeze the last of the ketchup out of the bottle, when I engage the clutch in lower gears (1 and 2). I don't feel anything, and it doesn't do it when the clutch is not engaged. No leaking fluids of any kind. About 1-2k miles ago, I changed the differential fluid to Mobile 1 gear oil (I don't remember exactly what it was, but it was the stuff from the DIY sticky at the top of this forum.)

Is this a sign my diff is going bad? My car is mechanically stock (63.5k miles). Or is it maybe just some weird noise artifacts from the diff fluid I used? It is coming from the rear end, not the trannsmissions, because I hear it out of my right ear if I face the passenger seat while letting the clutch out.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow,dats weird,never heard dat one before.Open the trunk,have a seat and bounce the suspension.See if u can duplicate the noise???I'm thinking shock.Or maybe your rear diff fluid has been whipped up into a milk shake.Maybe take a look at your diff fluid??Wonder if the evap system can make a noise like that??All,guesses Fuel pump filter??You got me curious.Interesting to see what the pros say on dis one
Old 07-30-2009, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure its not a clicking sound? which would be your axles. My diff made a clunking sound b4 it died lol.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by S2Kage,Jul 30 2009, 04:02 PM
sure its not a clicking sound? which would be your axles. My diff made a clunking sound b4 it died lol.
Def. not clunking. When I first heard it, it sounded as if the diff was cracked and oil was bubbling out (like when you squeeze out ketchup.) But there's no crack and no evidence of a leak.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:02 PM

Received 229 Likes on 170 Posts

Get down there and have somoene else ease the clutch in and out in 1st gear. Maybe you can pin it down. DON"T GET RUN OVER!
Old 08-01-2009, 02:10 PM

In this video, it's the sound at :29, :22, and :16.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:13 PM

You can hear it a little here, too:

Old 08-02-2009, 06:21 PM

I never place a video camera under my car before but I didn't think the diff moved arn dat much.I know an engine mount can spring a leak,maybe something isn't torque to spec or one of the diff mounts could leak ? or be going out and could make a noise like that ???Chime in pros would be curious about your thoughts on this one.Maybe place your camera under another S to compare.See if their diff moves that lil bit like yours?
Old 08-02-2009, 07:08 PM

the only time my car made a gargling noise like that was after i started it on cold morning..the condensation from the cold exhaust piping mix with the hot gasses..the condensation just kinda gurgled until it was warmed up or evaporated

-a
Old 08-03-2009, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Fast Jack,Aug 2 2009, 09:21 PM
I know an engine mount can spring a leak,maybe something isn't torque to spec or one of the diff mounts could leak ?
I actually recently replaced the two rear diff mounts, so I don't think it's that. You might be seeing a lot of movement because the whole car was on jackstands for the videos, so there wouldn't be any opposing force.

I think my next step is to try changing the diff fluid back to Honda OEM. Is there any scientific amount that needs to go in there? I just added fluid until it trickled out, like in the DIY sticky, but are there specifics like car should be in gear, not in gear, etc?

Quick Reply: Gargling noise from rear end?