S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Garaged for almost 2 years

Old 09-08-2014, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garaged for almost 2 years

hey guys, i'm currently serving in the US Army and stationed here in Korea. I left my 2008 CR Apex Blue in the garage at home for about 2 years now and i am planning on coming back this month. She is sittin on stock CR suspension cos i thought of not putting my kw v3 before i left cos she will be sittin on it and i was told it would'nt be a good idea. Anyways, when i get back there i was thinking on getting her a good tun up such as oil change and all the good stuff before i leave again. I need suggestions on what else i should do before i leave her again for a year or so...Thanks in advance...

"Live Life Like There Is No Tomorrow"
"Be Safe And Stay Safe"
Old 09-09-2014, 03:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone been starting and/or driving it for you? this would change my answer a bit..

Definitely change all the fluids.. Even though its been in the garage I would give all your rubber hoses and tires a once over to check for dry rotting etc.

If it hasn't been started this whole time, I would change your thermostat as they can likely stick after not being used a while like that. Also, after you change the fluids, pull your fuel pump fuse and crank the car over to allow the oil to circulate. I would probably do this a few times.

Leaving it again, I would try to use all of the fuel out of it and leave the car on jackstands to help save the tires.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 1,421 Likes on 1,063 Posts

I would just change the engine oil, do the fuel pump fuse thing to get oil ciculation, check for dry rot and just drive it. Carefully. If issues like a stuck thermostat, address as you find them. Just be very careful not to let it overheat.

No need to change trans or diff fluids. They aren't subject to contamination like engine oil is. Just change those based on miles and usage.

I don't think you are going to have any problems, other than some vibes from out of round tires until they get hot and and go back to shape.

You may need some fuel injector cleaner. Actually, I would just add that. Use Chevron with Techron.

For future storage, either have someone drive it around some or just let it sit. Worst thing you can do is have someone just start it up every now and then and not drive it.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:11 PM

I would also not use the gas in tank
Old 09-09-2014, 02:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Change oil, check battery, check tires and drive. I may be wrong but I think 2 year ld gas is fine.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:39 PM

The fuel has probably lost some of its octane. It is probably fine to drive on but I wouldn't be going wide-open throttle and into VTEC as it might be pulling a lot of timing
Old 09-09-2014, 08:00 PM

Received 1,712 Likes on 1,020 Posts

The car has been left too long and is now completely shot.

I will take it off your hands and repurpose it.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:16 AM

Everyone else touched on what I was going to say except for one thing.
Thank you for your service.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kiwisama
Everyone else touched on what I was going to say except for one thing.
Thank you for your service.

Thanks a bunch and you are welcome. I'm just paying back my country..Peace..
Old 09-14-2014, 08:53 PM

Thanks ya'll and @cosmomiller sorry bud but it aint my choice to get away from my car. I dont know what your job is but mine happened to be serving our country..

so anyways, what should i do with the fuel?should i drain it or just fill it up?and about the starting or driving, my mom usually starts it about maybe twice or 3x a week...it actually time to change the tires so im not worried about it, i actually have a set of tires waiting to get installed...my main focus are the liquids and as you guys said about the thermostat and the fuel pump fuse..I'll do all that when i get home..Thanks everyone...Peace...

"Live Life Like There Is No Tomorrow"
"Be Safe And Stay Safe"

Quick Reply: Garaged for almost 2 years