S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Garage Queens - Fluid change interval?

Old 09-09-2017, 06:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Garage Queens - Fluid change interval?

I finished a rebuild project last year that's become my DD and haven't driven Stella more than 2000 miles since. I'm overdue on fluid changes by time (years/months) but still have mileage remaining.

Is it important to stick to the manuals 6 month and 1 year intervals as much as the mileage? Or am I okay waiting?

First time having a garage queen car. Thanks

Ps. I used the search already
Old 09-09-2017, 11:44 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

You'll be OK waiting.

Once a year for the oil/filter will be fine, and even then, likely overkill.

I'd do the diff/tranny/coolant based on mileage.

You can get an oil sample test from Blackstone, but anything else is pure opinion and not science.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:09 PM

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,656 Posts

I do less than 3k miles per year, I do the oil change one per year in the fall before it goes into winter storage, I do diff fluid and tranny fluid changes every 2 years, still overkill but it gives me peace of mind.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I do less than 3k miles per year, I do the oil change one per year in the fall before it goes into winter storage, I do diff fluid and tranny fluid changes every 2 years, still overkill but it gives me peace of mind.
To me the car industry is way behind the times

The military gave up on mileage based service long ago - and those guys are dinosaurs about modernization (anybody still jumping with T-10s?). They have since switched to analysis based service by doing UOA (used oil analysis).

Remember, documentation for service was written to cover their ass (manufacturers) from excessive warranty claims.
So take for example the typical car. Most probably have a 5 year/40k mile bumper to bumper warranty. Most manufacturers want you to change oil every 10k miles or annually, right?
So what they are saying in english (assuming these conditions) is that if you follow our recommended guidelines and change your oil every 10,000 miles with our oil and our filter, we can reasonably guarantee that your car will last 5 years or 40,000 miles, which ever comes first. I'm going to take a wild ass guess, but they probably want 95% of cars @ this mark to be trouble free.
But wait, they also have to make sure that this service interval, 10k miles or annual oil change, also hedges against people who buy extended warranties, say 7yr/100k. Now not everyone gets an extended warranty so they don't need a high percentage of cars to make it past the 7yr/100k mark. They don't need 95% of cars to make it to this milestone, perhaps 85% will sufficiently make the bean counters happy.

My answer to you, is change your fluid and turn gears as often as you can or your wallet can afford. Metals like being lubricated.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:14 PM

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by gptoyz
My answer to you, is change your fluid and turn gears as often as you can or your wallet can afford. Metals like being lubricated.
IMHO, this is the key. Try to make sure all parts (esp top end) is lubricated, between starts after long off-times. Prolly most wear in Garage Queens are in first startup in months or years --- when all of the oil is in the pan.

Last edited by windhund116; 09-09-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
IMHO, this is the key. Try to make sure all parts (esp top end) is lubricated, between starts after long off-times.
How so? Turning it over with injector fuse pulled? That's what I did for my LR. Or is there a better way for these Hondas?

Originally Posted by gptoyz
So take for example the typical car.
So what they are saying in english (assuming these conditions) is that if you follow our recommended guidelines and change your oil every 10,000 miles with our oil and our filter, we can reasonably guarantee that your car will last 5 years or 40,000 miles, which ever comes first. I'm going to take a wild ass guess, but they probably want 95% of cars @ this mark to be trouble free.
But wait, they also have to make sure that this service interval, 10k miles or annual oil change, also hedges against people who buy extended warranties, say 7yr/100k. Now not everyone gets an extended warranty so they don't need a high percentage of cars to make it past the 7yr/100k mark. They don't need 95% of cars to make it to this milestone, perhaps 85% will sufficiently make the bean counters happy.
If you haven't gone to school for business, please do. You are talking about business data statistics and analysis type stuff and would do really well.

But thank you for the advice. I'll look in to the oil analysis kits and go from there
Old 09-10-2017, 06:16 AM

Received 1,230 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Honda maintenance schedule is in the pre-2006 owners manuals and available on line. Use the 2005 schedule for 2006 and later if you're curious, otherwise the Maintenance Minder will handle it for you.

"Fluids" (assuming you didn't just mean "lubricants") like the hydraulics and coolants are time, not mileage, based and should be changed per the schedules.

-- Chuck
Old 09-10-2017, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
...otherwise the Maintenance Minder will handle it for you.

"Fluids" (assuming you didn't just mean "lubricants") like the hydraulics and coolants are time, not mileage, based and should be changed per the schedules.

-- Chuck
I totally forgot these have the maintenance reminders. I was using the manual but it says an oil change is every 3xxx miles or 6 months and 6 months just seemed like a waste...
I was going to still do coolant, brakes, and clutch. Thanks for the reassurance.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:00 AM

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.SweetRoll
How so? Turning it over with injector fuse pulled? That's what I did for my LR. Or is there a better way for these Hondas?
I'd pour a little oil over the valve train and hand crank or turn the motor over with starter, only. Try to be sure red oil pressure idiot light is out --- before starting the engine.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:02 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
I'd pour a little oil over the valve train and hand crank or turn the motor over with starter, only. Try to be sure red oil pressure idiot light is out --- before starting the engine.
For this to have a meaningful impact in the lifespan of the car, at the rate he's driving it, he'll have to live to be 150+ years old.

Sometimes being this anal just isn't worth the trouble.

Try this instead: Enjoy the car as often as you can, and worry less...