S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Garage parked for 4 months now will not start

Old 05-18-2013, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guys are being pretty rough on you. When you don't know a lot about cars you are at the mercy of the shop. That's why it's good to find an honest mechanic (and difficult). The good thing is your car is back in business.

I would suggest that the next time you need repairs that you ask for the return of the old parts that they replace. That lets them know that you are paying attention to the work that they are doing. Also, as mentioned, those extra services like "fuel injection cleaning" are often up-sells to extract more money from you. If you have a clogged injector, and the procedure is done correctly, it can be helpful. It's just hard to know when it's necessary. You could ask them to show you why they think it is necessary. It's ok to ask questions.

Have fun
Mike M.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bad cam sensor will DEFINITELY do it. I feel like if you would have pulled the codes you could have seen one for camshaft position. Replaced it, bam. But its fixed nonetheless.

Fuel treatment service? ONLY products I would recommend as a tech is the BG products like 44K, and my all time favorite ONLY IF YOU HAVE A TEST PIPE, Seafoam. Many people come in for a P0420 code after seafoam which means you toasted your catalytic converter. I think the perfect combo is the gas mix seafoam, and the aeresol spray with the U-shaped straw used in the throttle body.

I ran the aerosol spray seafoam on my S and after, I looked inside my intake manifold with a flash light and it was spotless! Covered in black oil, soot, gunk before.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemo
The guys are being pretty rough on you. When you don't know a lot about cars you are at the mercy of the shop. That's why it's good to find an honest mechanic (and difficult). The good thing is your car is back in business.

I would suggest that the next time you need repairs that you ask for the return of the old parts that they replace. That lets them know that you are paying attention to the work that they are doing. Also, as mentioned, those extra services like "fuel injection cleaning" are often up-sells to extract more money from you. If you have a clogged injector, and the procedure is done correctly, it can be helpful. It's just hard to know when it's necessary. You could ask them to show you why they think it is necessary. It's ok to ask questions.

Have fun
Mike M.
I guess the OP didn't read my previous post. Hate to be the one that "told you so" OP... I hate most shops, they are the most dishonest people in the world 99.9% of time, which is exactly why I do 99.9% of my own work... Glad your car's fixed though..
Old 05-19-2013, 01:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tweezy7
I finally got the car back today.

What was wrong - CamShaft Position Sensor
The shop said this is why the car didnt start because the sensor was bad and that it prevented the car from starting

They also recommended I get a Fuel Injection service - they said this because that this was gunky when they where locating the problem also said it would prevent the other sensor from going out

All in are the total cost was $408.52 at the shop and $125.00 tow for a total of $533.52

Im just glad its all fixed

As for the suggestions, I don't know anything about cars. I like s2ki for the wealth of knowledge on the s2000
I am trying to learn and be a more doi type person but I dont trust myself and think i would make the problem worse

Therefore I trust my shop in Pasadena

Did they give you back the old sensor?? They are supposed to if they said they changed it....
Old 05-19-2013, 08:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by B0neSt0ck
Did they give you back the old sensor?? They are supposed to if they said they changed it....
Well, they're supposed to IF they were honest. Considering that the cost for one TDC sensor is about $62.00 (less when a shop buys them) and it takes less than 1/2 hour labor to change one, that leaves about $300.00 for diagnosis. Let's take out an hour for that at $100.00. Well, you do the math. I surmise that the shop didn't have any idea where to start looking and messed around with all kinds of things before they decided to change something and wiggled and tweaked a bunch of other things and miraculously, it started to work. It was probably so simple that they just had to make it something more significant and charge an "appropriate" amount of money for their tedious work they put into it. If, in fact, one of the TDC sensors was bad, a quick scan for codes would have homed in on the problem in 2 minutes. Oh well, sometimes we have to deal with what comes when we must rely on "professionals" to solve our problems. In many ways, 500 bucks is not a lot to pay to bring a dead car back to life.
BTW, the S2000 has TWO TDC sensors. They are both identical. One is located on top, at the rear of the valve cover and the other one is on the side, at the rear of the valve cover. There are many examples posted on this forum that indicate the engine WILL run with one bad one. It may or may not start, depending on how well maintained the engine is and when it does run, it runs poorly, but it will run.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:58 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by tweezy7
I finally got the car back today.

What was wrong - CamShaft Position Sensor
The shop said this is why the car didnt start because the sensor was bad and that it prevented the car from starting

They also recommended I get a Fuel Injection service - they said this because that this was gunky when they where locating the problem also said it would prevent the other sensor from going out

All in are the total cost was $408.52 at the shop and $125.00 tow for a total of $533.52

Im just glad its all fixed

As for the suggestions, I don't know anything about cars. I like s2ki for the wealth of knowledge on the s2000
I am trying to learn and be a more doi type person but I dont trust myself and think i would make the problem worse

Therefore I trust my shop in Pasadena
Before this was fixed, would your fuel pump prime with the key in the ignition?
Old 05-19-2013, 08:59 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by chris_barry
Try swapping the fuel pump relay in the under dash fuse box with one of the similar ones in the same fuse box. I've seen them go open circuit when they have been left for a long time. I think its burnt deposits on the contacts going fuzzy from humidity during storage. If you open up the relay you can drag some wet and dry between the contacts and it will start working again.
Can you further elaborate? Are you referring to the PGM-FI relay?