S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Garage parked for 4 months now will not start

Old 05-16-2013, 07:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AP1Driver
Things like this amaze me. Why in the hell would you not troubleshoot the above items at home before jumping to conclusions? Nothing personal, just saying. Shops love people like you $$$
I doubt that anyone who thinks "cranking" and "turning over" are two different things won't have the capability to troubleshoot a dead car. They depend on some shop with a credit card machine to do that for them. Had he waited just bit longer and read some of the later replies and maybe answered some more questions that were asked, he may have received a better clue as to what to do next. Some people just need to do what they feel is best and what works for them.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper
Originally Posted by AP1Driver' timestamp='1368757238' post='22548221
Things like this amaze me. Why in the hell would you not troubleshoot the above items at home before jumping to conclusions? Nothing personal, just saying. Shops love people like you $$$
I doubt that anyone who thinks "cranking" and "turning over" are two different things won't have the capability to troubleshoot a dead car. They depend on some shop with a credit card machine to do that for them. Had he waited just bit longer and read some of the later replies and maybe answered some more questions that were asked, he may have received a better clue as to what to do next. Some people just need to do what they feel is best and what works for them.
Completely understood xviper. I just feel bad for people like this because you know as well as I do that some (most) shops, even ones that deal with local customers multiple times, try to squeeze as much loot as possible out of each visit/customer interaction. IMO, this is the type of situation that encourages otherwise good wrenches to defraud people, especially people who aren't mechanically inclined or educated (I.e, car brought in for dead battery, customer told Alt/starter/batt/harness/etc needed replaced, $100 fix turns into $1k bill, relative example). A little more time on the board or a little DIY could (does) save a lot of $. That's what I was getting at. . To the OP, ALWAYS request that your old parts be returned to you if a garage says something needed replaced. I've seen invoices charging for parts that were never even touched/installed..
Old 05-17-2013, 01:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try swapping the fuel pump relay in the under dash fuse box with one of the similar ones in the same fuse box. I've seen them go open circuit when they have been left for a long time. I think its burnt deposits on the contacts going fuzzy from humidity during storage. If you open up the relay you can drag some wet and dry between the contacts and it will start working again.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:14 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Mice?
They like the area above the tank and wires are strangely tasty to them.
Also, I saw one that wouldn't start because the exhaust was PACKED with mice crap. I scratched my head for a little bit before we figured it out (it had fuel pressure, compression, spark...).
Old 05-17-2013, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fasting
Mice?
They like the area above the tank and wires are strangely tasty to them.
Also, I saw one that wouldn't start because the exhaust was PACKED with mice crap. I scratched my head for a little bit before we figured it out (it had fuel pressure, compression, spark...).
That's right. The car needs more than compression, fuel, and spark.

Its the FACTS
Fuel
Air (that means air in and out)
Compression
Timing
Spark
Old 05-17-2013, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by tweezy7
The car is already at the shop.
The tow guy thinks its the fuel pump

I think it coule be the starter, the spark plugs. Not really sure

Once they call me i'll let you all know!
I hope it is simple and cheap.
Good luck
Mike M.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:36 AM

I finally got the car back today.

What was wrong - CamShaft Position Sensor
The shop said this is why the car didnt start because the sensor was bad and that it prevented the car from starting

They also recommended I get a Fuel Injection service - they said this because that this was gunky when they where locating the problem also said it would prevent the other sensor from going out

All in are the total cost was $408.52 at the shop and $125.00 tow for a total of $533.52

Im just glad its all fixed

As for the suggestions, I don't know anything about cars. I like s2ki for the wealth of knowledge on the s2000
I am trying to learn and be a more doi type person but I dont trust myself and think i would make the problem worse

Therefore I trust my shop in Pasadena
Old 05-17-2013, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fuel injection service??? that's just to up sell a service you don't need.. "hey said this because that this was gunky when they where locating the problem also said it would prevent the other sensor from going out " what was gunky??? really??? I doubt they opened up the injectors? I have never heard of the camshaft position sensor going bad on an s2k. The cost for the sensor is $50 dollars at the most, 1 minute to change it, its right on top of the valve cover. $408 dollars is rape and highway robbery.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I believe it will still start with a bad camshaft sensor but it would be in a limp mode.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There are 2 camshaft sensors on this engine. One "bad" one won't be bad enough to prevent the car from starting. Let's face it, shops have been known to take advantage of the unwary and those who don't understand mechanical "stuff". They may have been truthful but it is also possible that they found the fix amongst several things they tried and ended up just charging for all of it. (They are not generally going to tell you "a wire came loose and we just pushed it back in". There's no money in that.) Having not collected enough money, they will always recommend more ways to extract additional revenue. You are at their mercy. But hey, if the customer gets a running car again and he/she is happy, maybe the money is worth it.

Quick Reply: Garage parked for 4 months now will not start