S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Gap between JIC slip-fit muffler and piping

Old 08-09-2003, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gap between JIC slip-fit muffler and piping

I just installed a JIC cat-back exhaust. The exhaust came in two pieces -- a slip-fit muffler with a band clamp, and some piping that connects the muffler to the cat.

After mounting everything up, sliding the muffler inlet over the exhaust pipe, and tightening down the band clamp, there's still a small gap between the inside of the muffler inlet and the exhaust pipe. The gap's narrow, maybe 1/32", and it doesn't seem to be leaking at idle, but it bugs me that there's any gap at all.

I tried rearranging the hangers and the alignment of the pipe and the muffler a few times, but it didn't make much difference. I'm considering buying a different clamp next (the one that came with the exhaust's a bit questionable), but maybe I'm just getting excited over nothing. Is it typical for JICs or other brands with slip-fit mufflers have gaps between the muffler inlet and the pipe?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 08-09-2003, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if it doesnt leak I wouldnt worry about it too much. If you want a theory though, I think there is a gap there because that is where the mid-pipe starts to bend at an angle. Especially because the gap is located on the top and the pipe is bending down.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:16 PM

Thanks. What I'm worried about is leaking under load (which I have no way of testing while I'm under the car). I was expecting that I'd be able to tighten the clamp down enough to close the gap, but the clamp's inner diameter is larger than the muffler inlet's outer diameter, so the gap remains even when you crank down the clamp's bolt (as I discovered when I snapped the bolt trying to tighten it further).

Just seems like a questionable design to me -- if I designed an exhaust, I wouldn't ship it with egregious fit issue, even if the only harm was aggravating anal buyers like myself.

Steve
Old 08-10-2003, 06:50 PM

I have JIC full ti single and I don't have a gap. I would get them to send you a smaller clamp.

I just had the whole pipe replaced due to the fact that something inside the resonator came loose and it was rattling under load and a little above idle. Go through whoever you purchased the exhaust through and then deal with JIC directly if you need to they are easy to work with.

or just get another clamp.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:13 PM

is the leak facing the exit side of the exhaust? if so, it wont matter, the exhaust is still exiting the piping. i know this is a ghetto fix, but you could use some JB Weld...jk.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:05 AM

Use the exhaust mender crap to fill in the hole. It dries and gets hard and it will be fine. You can get it at any auto parts store.

As long as the hole is after the O2 sensor then it's fine. After a month of using the muffler, if it is leaking, you'll see some carbon build up outside of the hole.

JB Weld is more of a permanent solution which you wouldn't want to do...

Chris
Old 08-11-2003, 07:31 AM

ghetto fix. Cut a small piece of sheet metal about 1" X 2" and place it between the clamp and the outer pipe at the area of the gap.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:40 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm having trouble getting ahold of the vendor, but I don't like the design of JIC's clamp anyway, so I just went ahead and spent eight bucks on a new, more appropriately shaped clamp from McMaster-Carr.

Now to decide if I trust the gasketless connection between the cat and the exhaust pipe...

Steve
Old 08-13-2003, 05:52 PM

I have the exhuast on my car too.. theres no gap on mine. I also had a problem with rattling noise that i thought was from inside my resonator.. It only happened around 27-2900rpm.. i found out that it was the 2 springs rubbing against the clamp that connects the muffler to the rest of the exhuast.. The vibrations from the rattling made it sound like it was the resonator.

Chris
Old 08-15-2003, 10:55 PM

i removed the springs and bought some stainless picture hanging wire to replace them. twist tie no rattle

Quick Reply: Gap between JIC slip-fit muffler and piping