S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Gains for mugen cai

Old 09-26-2003, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gains for mugen cai

I've tried the so called search.
anybody have any info on gains/ feedback on the mugen intake

thanks

warren
Old 09-26-2003, 03:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have tried several intakes and think the Mugen is the best. Search did work for me and I found this post:

----------------------

Few have the time and equipment to run accurate tests. The Mugen CAI has been tested with very good results more than once. Many of the tests are years old and the unfortunately the graphics gone with the hosting services of the time. This was one of the posts.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Luis
Before I installed the Mugen CAI I made some runs with my AP-22 that I could repeat after installation.

I finally got around to repeat the runs, and here are the results...

But first, I have to make a disclaimer. There are a lot of different parameters that may change the power output of an engine. I made an effort of recording temperature and tank level, but can't really tell if the gasoline is the same, or if the relative humidity did not change dramatically, or if the car just got faster after clocking a few hundred miles.

The method that inspires the most confidence is back to back testing. It does not look too difficult to swap intakes, so when I have some free time in my hands I'll make a few additional runs.

With that off my chest (sigh of relief), here it is:

Conditions:

My performance mods:
Mugen exhaust manifold, Mugen silencer, Toda flywheel, and several weight savings measures (my car weighs in at 1200kgs).

Temperature was within 2C, tank had some 20kgs more during the Mugen runs and my bones tell me humidity was higher as well. Everything else the same.

4 runs in both directions in the same flat piece of road. I measured speed, time and distance, in a 50 to 130km/h WOT 3rd gear acceleration.

I also have data for 60 to 170km/h WOT 4th gear runs, but I haven't yet had the time to repeat them with the Mugen CAI.

Data from all runs was averaged.

Max HP at the wheels as measured by the AP-22 was 192.5HP at 8.2krpm and 208HP at 8.8krpm with the Mugen. Take these numbers with a grain of salt before comparing with Dyno numbers (for instance, the 4th gear measurements I did with the stock airbox resulted in a max power of 209HP. This difference is to be expected. I expect to get over 220HP with the Mugen CAI in these conditions).

But as a picture is worth a thousand words, here are some meaningful graphics:

First, in gear acceleration timings:

I like the way the trends match up. This to me confirms the data that I got is valid. The trend can be explained by the torque curve and aero effects. The Mugen CAI is most effective at both ends of the rpm range. I expected good results at the top end (ram air effects, confirmed by the increase in the max power rpm point), but was surprised with the improvements at the low end.

How does it all translate to real world conditions? Nothing better than measuring how far ahead one car is after some WOT in gear action, right?

For the plot below the timer started at 50km/h, and you can see the gains in meters after 7 to 9 seconds of acceleration. The S2000 Mugen CAI equipped gains slowly and at 9 seconds, after covering over 200 meters, it is about 4 meters ahead (one car length).

This is an expensive piece of kit, but compared to most other Mugen mods it seems to offer the most bang for the buck. This is in line with what the Mugen engineers claimed in Japan.

Now, let's just hope that when I test back to back I'll still get the same results.