S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve(s)

Old 09-01-2020, 06:11 AM

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Also been using one for approx 4-5 years now. Has never been removed since installing. Works perfect, no leaks. Probably 35 autocross events (and I am sure at least a few cones have come into contact with it!) and a bunch of track nights along with street driving. I am very happy with it. Makes changing the oil a lot faster and easier!

Does drain a bit slower, but I really dont mind. I typically just let it sit a long while anyways to get as much oil to drain as possible. And best practice is to run the car a bit before draining since any particulates will be then suspended in the oil and come out with it, and the oil will be warmer/thinner and will drain faster.
The following users liked this post:
Nivlac978 (06-21-2021)
Old 09-01-2020, 09:35 AM

Received 1,713 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I have had a Fumoto valve on my S for almost as long as I have had it. I have used the Fumoto on other vehicles too as well as my kid's cars. Makes oil changes so easy. There are imitation Fumoto valves out there; I have always stuck with the Japanese original. Never had an issue. I have one on my Jeep Grand Cherokee (1999) that gets some off road use in the Sierras on my pursuit of trout fishing locations. Not worried about the thing getting knocked.

As far as the S2000 goes, if something manages to strike and actually damage the Fumoto, you have much bigger problems than the drain valve!

I use an aluminum "chafing" pan (disposable) for catching the oil and then draining as you go into another container for recycling. That is when the on/off feature of the valve really comes in handy. You can get a nipple on one (not offered when I got mine) that you can attach a plastic hose on and drain the oil into empty used oil bottles (or whatever) one at a time without spilling anything. Pretty slick. Bottom line is you don't have to jack up the S or get under it to perform an oil change. You can do it with just an open hood. With the aluminum pan, there is nothing to clean up really. I put the pan in a dog food or chicken food bag to ensure the pan does not leak in the garbage can. BTW, I use long baggies (newspaper covers) for the oil filter. After it is loosened, I slide the bag over the filter as I remove it. Any drips go into the bag. I pour out as much oil as will come out for recycling and then I tie off the bag to keep it drip free and toss it as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by cosmomiller:
DOXI (04-14-2023), rpg51 (09-02-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 02:50 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
Seems the torque spec for the adapter is 25Nm https://fumotogiken.shop-pro.jp/?pid=139048995
Pretty far off from the stock 39Nm. That's 18 ft-lb vs 29 ft-lb in imperial units.
The valve is made from brass so it would not be expected to have, or require, the same torque. Fumoto valves are predominantly used in industrial machinery world where huge quantities of hydraulic fluids/lubricants are contained and are at risk of loss, and equipment values are $$$$$. If they specify a torque for their products I'm confident it can be relied upon.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:07 PM

Received 451 Likes on 378 Posts

Yes I'm sure they know what they are doing but that torque spec has no regards to the valve being installed on a crazy vibrating f20c reving to 9k all day.
I would probably use some thread seal or mild lock if I were to install one.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:34 PM

Received 1,713 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Literally millions of those things are in use. They pretty much of nailed it.
Actually 13 million in use from 1976. One other nice feature is can drain a small amount if you should happen to overfill. No big deal.

https://www.oilvalve.com.au/index.html

http://fumotousa.com
Old 09-01-2020, 10:43 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
Yes I'm sure they know what they are doing but that torque spec has no regards to the valve being installed on a crazy vibrating f20c reving to 9k all day.
The s2000 engine is a smooth unit compared to lots of industrial machinery and the Fumoto valves are used on motorbikes that rev close to twice that of the F20c. After using the valve myself for almost a decade I'm yet to be convinced the torque spec is wrong.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fitted this year, bought from Quick Valve UK, good service and advice from them and so far so good (I regularly check for leaks). Recommended.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:34 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I use an aluminum "chafing" pan (disposable) for catching the oil and then draining as you go into another container for recycling. That is when the on/off feature of the valve really comes in handy. You can get a nipple on one (not offered when I got mine) that you can attach a plastic hose on and drain the oil into empty used oil bottles (or whatever) one at a time without spilling anything. Pretty slick. Bottom line is you don't have to jack up the S or get under it to perform an oil change. You can do it with just an open hood. With the aluminum pan, there is nothing to clean up really. I put the pan in a dog food or chicken food bag to ensure the pan does not leak in the garbage can. BTW, I use long baggies (newspaper covers) for the oil filter. After it is loosened, I slide the bag over the filter as I remove it. Any drips go into the bag. I pour out as much oil as will come out for recycling and then I tie off the bag to keep it drip free and toss it as well.
I like the disposable pan idea. What are the pan dimensions that you use? Gotta link to the pans? I take it you are able to reach the fumoto valve from the top? So you slide the pan under, open the valve, remove the filter with a baggie over it, replace the filter, shut the valve when done draining, add new oil, and you are done except pouring the old oil into container? Do you drive off the pan, or do you slide it out? This can be a messy job and I seem to find the ways to make it as messy as possible every time. It would be nice not to have to deal with cleaning the drain pan.

I had a fumoto on my first S but I haven't installed one yet on my current car. Oil change is coming up. Might be time to stick a fumoto on there. Putting the car up on stands is getting to be less and less fun the older I get.

As OP mentions there are two models, the old and the new. And, there is the question of whether we need/want the adapter that pushes the valve out a bit from the pan. I used the newer model on my old car, but this time I am inclined to use the older more basic model to keep things simple and keep it "small." But, does anyone know whether the adapter is necessary or helpful? If it can be tightened adequately without the adapter, and if it is easy to use without the adapter, that is what I will do. Just not sure whether that adapter is needed?

Last edited by rpg51; 09-02-2020 at 04:25 AM.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:10 AM

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,035 Posts

You guys convinced me, decided to get the Fumoto F-106 (without spout), for my S2000 and Element. I don't need to buy any extensions or other adapters. Right?

Thanks, for the post!
Old 09-02-2020, 05:53 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
I like the disposable pan idea. What are the pan dimensions that you use? Gotta link to the pans? I take it you are able to reach the fumoto valve from the top? So you slide the pan under, open the valve, remove the filter with a baggie over it, replace the filter, shut the valve when done draining, add new oil, and you are done except pouring the old oil into container? Do you drive off the pan, or do you slide it out? This can be a messy job and I seem to find the ways to make it as messy as possible every time. It would be nice not to have to deal with cleaning the drain pan.
Putting the car up on stands is getting to be less and less fun the older I get.
Same boat. Mess and hassle of getting aging body under the car were motivating factors. Also its a 3 season dd, and in the past oil change interval would come and not have time to do it. So the idea of not having to dig out the jack and stands and such (small garage, things packed away) or get under the car means I can do it on an evening after work without thinking about it.

Just need the drain pan (I got a basic open plastic one from Harbor Freight that easily slides under car), the oil, filter, and funnel, and some rags.

I have this large used oil jug with a large mouth. It's wide and stable even when empty. So its easy to pour pan into jug without spilling a drop.

I do have to clean the plastic drain pan after use, but I store it in a plastic bag, so it doesn't need to be bone dry.

I back up off the pan at the end, not slide it out. This avoids sloshing and spilling from pan as it slides.

Quick Reply: Fumoto Oil Drain Valve(s)