S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Full brake flush

Old 08-18-2004, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for everyone's help. My brake pads are past due (kind of to the point where I shouldn't drive my car) so this flush and brake pad change is much needed.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:40 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

Using ATE in the clutch is overkill, but good stuff and will do no harm. Helps too to flush it when it turns blue you know your done. Use it in my clutch...
Old 08-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CoralDoc,Aug 18 2004, 05:45 AM
I have ATE blue in my Miata clutch - simply because that's what I have on hand for brake fluid. One benefit of changing the fluid in the clutch, even though it doesn't see the heat of braking systems, is that it still absorbs water over time and that can affect the longevity of clutch components. Several friends have reported improved clutch smoothness and feel after changing the clutch fluid in their S2000s even when the cars were only 2-3 years old.
For the record, I didn't recommend not changing the clutch fluid just that changing it with Ate is overkill.

Flushing the clutch fluid in this car is a good thing. I've never seen clutch fluid get contaminated with the speed it does in the S2000.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ATE is overkill, but its good to known that you are using some good stuff for your tranny.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:39 AM

I'm planning switching Honda fluid to ATE Blue. If the Honda and ATE Super Blue are incompatible, is flushing sufficient to get rid of residual Honda fluid? Is a second flush recommended soon after?
( Anal s2000 owner alert level yellow)
Old 12-17-2004, 06:01 AM

Just keep flushing until you see new fluid coming out, that should be fine. You should also try and get as much of the old fluid out of the resevoir and refill with new fluid to save you some time.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:03 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by axis_of_evil,Dec 17 2004, 05:39 AM
I'm planning switching Honda fluid to ATE Blue. If the Honda and ATE Super Blue are incompatible, is flushing sufficient to get rid of residual Honda fluid? Is a second flush recommended soon after?
( Anal s2000 owner alert level yellow)
Your assumption of incompatability in not correct. The flush will still leave some of the old fluid in the antilock brake system. Eventually with several flushes and years of use the old fluid will be totally eliminated from the system.

Please don't go to level red.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Remember to check the bleed order. In the S it is backwards from what we were taught growing up.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ludedude,Aug 18 2004, 10:58 AM
Flushing the clutch fluid in this car is a good thing. I've never seen clutch fluid get contaminated with the speed it does in the S2000.

The clutch fluid gets dirty quickly in this car as well as a lot of other cars. Depending on how much you drive as well as your driving habits, the clutch fluid should be bled every 5-10k miles. If you track the car, it should be bled and flushed before a race weekend.

Even for people that don't track their cars or drive it hard at all, the clutch should be thoroughly flushed within 20k miles.

I like to suck the old fluid out of the reservoir and refill with fresh fluid. As I pour the fresh fluid into reservoir, dirt gets stirred up and floats to the top. I then suck out the dirty fluid and refill again. I do this two or three times until I can pour fresh fluid into the master cylinder and not have a bunch of dirt stir up. I do this about 2-3 times a year and I still have only 10k miles on my S.

If anyone wants to clean their clutch or brake master cylinders by sucking the old fluid out and refilling with fresh fluid, make certain that you don't spill any brake fluid on your paint. Brake fluid will take paint off in a heartbeat. Use a Thick terry towel on your fender and paper towels around the master cylinders and be very careful. Have a bottle of windex on hand just in case.

This trick works great for the clutch, it is fast and I can feel a difference in my clutch pedal. The pedal feels firmer.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone have a picture of where this mysterious clutch reservior is? This is the first I have heard of that?

Quick Reply: Full brake flush