S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fujitsubo exhaust repair

Old 03-03-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fujitsubo exhaust repair

ok, I bought a used Fujitsubo exhaust and it finally came in today (about 7 days late) but the very edge of the exhaust tip on the drivers side muffler was damaged from Greyhound because they ripped the **** out of the box. It was smashed in a little bit (imagine if i took the oem exhaust tip off the muffler and hit it on the concrete a few times) thats what it looks like. I can post a pic if you're not sure what I am talking about. Its not really that bad but it is noticeable and it bugs me. I was thinking of having a little of the tip shaved off on both mufflers so they look alike. How would I go about doing this? Take it to a machine shop? If so anyone know of a good one near Ohio? The Greyhound package claim is for $300 so that should cover it.

Thanks for the help,
Nick

EDIT: PICS

Old 03-04-2009, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not sure how the whole insurance claim thing works but get an estimate to fix it for like over $300 so you can get 300$ then get it fixed at a local muffler shop for like 50$ or get em to make you a new tip.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:52 AM

I do know certain machine shops do a have a lathe that smooths rough surfaces out on circular shapes. I would try there. If you have no luck there, there is always a good muffler shop.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:18 PM

did you sign for it when it arrived? Always inspect what you purchase before you sign anything that way the driver is there and can witness any actual damage. Send it back and get a new one. easy as pie
Old 03-04-2009, 04:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just dremel or sand it smooth and call it a day. The exhaust soot will turn that tip black on the inside in no time. You wouldn't be able to tell...
Old 03-04-2009, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by 99SH,Mar 4 2009, 08:21 PM
Just dremel or sand it smooth and call it a day. The exhaust soot will turn that tip black on the inside in no time. You wouldn't be able to tell...
I'll probably just end up trying that. Hopefully it wont look too bad.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:43 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

My only concern with smoothing/grinding is that the exhaust is stainless. The tool you would use to smooth/grind it is not, and you'll leave behind bits of lower grade steel onto the tip. Given time, I expect that area on the tip will tend to corrode.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're not too fussy, just take of the rough spots with a metal file. That damage would annoy the shit outta me so I'd go all out.

I slash cut a Tanabe Hyper exhaust tip for looks and it was a bitch to get it looking pristine. After making the cut with a reciprocating saw I had to work the entire surface of the cut with progressively finer metal files then finishing with a bevel and polish.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:28 AM

well, i ended up sanding it smooth and using my dremel. I didnt use a metal tip on the dremel it was a hard rubber tip that seemed to work well at smoothing down the rough part on the exahust. It actually doesnt look bad at all and now that I installed it on my car I can't even tell its there. By the way the exhaust is awesome. I love it.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you running a test pipe with your exhaust?

I'm picking up a fujitsubo very soon and it will be added to my berk test pipe that i already have installed so i'm hoping it sounds good..

Props to you for finding a used one, fuji's are pretty hard to come by on the used market.

Quick Reply: Fujitsubo exhaust repair