S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fuel Tank Construction ?

Old 04-12-2014, 03:02 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Construction ?

I picked up a spare fuel tank as I wanted some spare parts for the fuel pump, fuel filter and metering system, in case mine ever quit.

I opened up the tank to drain it of fuel after removing the upper parts and it was shiny as brand new inside. This is a 12 year old fuel tank, I was pretty impressed. I know it has some rust on the outer flange, but the interior is mint. What are the tanks made of, entirely stainless steel ?, or stainless interior and ordinary steel on the exterior ?. I haven't heard of many fuel tanks going bad on the S2000's like you see on other cars. Everything in the tank was really clean, including the fuel, very few deposits or rust. The fuel pump sock was really clean too.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:26 AM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Honda makes their fuel tanks out of mild steel with an electro-coated zinc-nickel coating, IIRC. This coating holds up well to the ethanol blended fuels we use.

It's not a surprise that your tank looks pristine inside. Gasoline isn't corrosive and Zn-Ni holds up well to conventional fuel mixes. Keep away from E85 since this is more corrosive.

Older cars with Terne coated tanks weren't nearly as corrosion resistant as modern steel tanks.

I'm not aware of any stainless steel tanks in current production vehicles.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:34 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by slalom44
Honda makes their fuel tanks out of mild steel with an electro-coated zinc-nickel coating, IIRC. This coating holds up well to the ethanol blended fuels we use.

It's not a surprise that your tank looks pristine inside. Gasoline isn't corrosive and Zn-Ni holds up well to conventional fuel mixes. Keep away from E85 since this is more corrosive.

Older cars with Terne coated tanks weren't nearly as corrosion resistant as modern steel tanks.

I'm not aware of any stainless steel tanks in current production vehicles.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I was just surprised how shiny new the interior of the tank looked, the zinc nickel coating makes sense. It put a magnet on the tank and it is all steel judging by the magnet.

Thanks for the info