S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fuel System (?) help

Old 02-24-2011, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel System (?) help

so my wife's greddy turbo'd 03 was running great, circling the mall trying to find parking. While waiting for a stall, it just died. Fired it back up and it popped, kicked, misfired, and spewed unburnt fuel. full throttle netted maybe 3000rpm. I babied it into a stall where it promptly died when I let off the throttle.

Opened the hood, to find nothing out of place. Vacuum lines and everything else look fine. It's not overheating (koyo and big fans), but now it won't start, just cranks. After dicking around with it for 10 minutes, I fires up nice and clean. I say, "screw it" and my wife and I grab lunch.

Come back from lunch, and the car fires up just fine. as I only live a few blocks away, I figure I'll just drive it home. No luck, car dies in front of my apartment building. Same thing, wait 10 minutes, and it fires back up, but this time it's hardly smooth. same symptoms as before, misfiring and popping, spitting out fuel. I nurse it upstairs where it promptly dies. It won't start no matter how long I wait.

My friend and I thought we've seen this before, and it was a tempermental relay, so I grab one from napa. The fuel pump wouldn't kick on when the ignition was powered. The underdash fuse tests out fine.

Turns out the underhood fuse (for the PGM-FI and the diagnostic port) was blown, for an unknown reason. And since I've had trouble with the walbro fuel pump before, I acquire a new one and install it.

So with a new fuse, a new relay, and a new fuel pump, the car runs great. drive it to work this morning, and it starts misfiring again after about 10 minutes on the road.

I get to work, check the CEL that popped up and it throws out a 1259 (VTEC malfunction).

So two questions, anyone got an idea where to start looking for trouble? and what does a vtec malfunction have to do with my type of trouble?

also why does DTC 1253, 1257, 1258, 1259 all have the same fault description, VTEC Malfunction?