S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fuel injector cleaner

Old 05-29-2007, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel injector cleaner

Im wondering about the Lucas fuel injector cleaner/upper cylinder treatment....does anyone use this?, is it safe ?, i couldnt find anything on it in the sticky
Old 05-29-2007, 05:33 PM

Don't know about that one specifically, but I've tried many others on my previous car, a 1991 RX-7 with 125k miles.

The only one that did anything at all, even after trying at least 6 others (but I do not remember which), was Chevron Techron Concentrate (Plus) Fuel System Cleaner. I highly recommend it. My RX-7 ran smoother esp. at idle, more throttle response, etc... quite noticable. All others I tried did nothing at all.

Notes:
1. Chevron also has a Pro Guard line of products that are similar but have less of the key Techron Concentrate in it - I know 'cause I called Chevron support to ask the difference.

2. I know you get a small, regular dose of Techron by using Chevron gas, but I like how my cars run better on Shell, so I use the Shell gas, and then Techron Concentrate every 5k miles or so.

3. And using Chevron gas (alone) once every few thousand miles won't really be enough Techron for results. Besides the computer will generally run better with a consistent gas supply rather than switching brands.

4. Results are noticable, if injectors are dirty such as in high milage car, in about 3/4 of a tank.

5. Techron Concentrate is not an octane booster or a performance enhancer, it is a cleaner (think of it as soap). Your car will run worse on the tank with the Techron in it, so use it several tanks before you go to the track, autocross, or similar. After using it, run the tank with Techron down pretty far before refilling to get most of the Techron out of the next tank of gas.

6. My 2006 S2000 needs an ECU reset after using this because it learns bad data about how the car runs with the techron in it, and it takes forever to unlearn it even after the Techron is out. I wait until I'm on the 2nd full tank after using the Techron (to minimize amount of cleaner), and then reset the ECU, and all the bad data it learned during use of the cleaner goes away.

7. Besides it's always a good idea to reset the ECU when you make notable mods or changes to the system. I find that the ECU is more willing to learn about mods and changes and quicker about it after a reset then w/o a reset. I also find I get a better end result by clearing out the old data; without the reset it may never get all the way to best performance even with a lot of time.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:44 PM

^^^ Great info............. Thanks
Old 05-29-2007, 11:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Techron is a fantastic additive - the only thing you need to ensure is that you don't use it too frequently due to the fact it's such a powerful cleaner. Strong fuel system cleaners can dilute and break down your oil (due to blow-by), so it's advisable to use the product the tankful prior to changing your oil.

Another fantastic fuel system cleaner is Redline SI-1. SI-1 is a slower acting cleaner and is designed to be added with every tankful (a bottle can last up to 5 tankfuls depending on the concentration you choose). SI-1 will not dilute your oil and actually has upper cylinder lubrication properties. You can use an entire bottle for a fast cleanup, followed by diluted applications with every fill up.
This type of maintenance keeps your injectors at peak performance all the time - instead of clean, followed by slowly degrading performance. I pick up SI-1 at Pep Boy's stores, or through Summit Racing. I've also used Amsoil PI in the past. However, they recently reformulated the product to be used as a one time application cleaner, instead of being added every tankful like SI-1. Amsoil PI worked extremely well - however, Redline SI-1 always seemed to work a little better (and those that know me know I'm a big fan of Amsoil products - so that says a lot about the Redline product!).

Best of all - both Redline SI-1 and Techron have the Road Rage seal of approval!

Final note: Don't use anyting produced by Lucas Oil - it's mostly snake oil.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

over at BITOG they like the lucas FIC/UCL
Old 05-30-2007, 01:18 PM

Redline S1 has worked the best for me.
www.redlineoil.com
Old 05-30-2007, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dumb question, but where can I get this Chevron stuff?. I haven't seen one of there gas stations in ages
Old 05-30-2007, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

advance auto parts, autozone and walmart carry the techron cleaner.. its in a black bottle
Old 05-30-2007, 05:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are people, including myself, that are suspicious of Techron leaching lead from our bearings. Be careful and do a UOA if you use this product religiously. I have not been using it in my S2000, but have noticed high lead readings on my 2000 Tundra and 2003 G35. Just a note of caution.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:46 PM

My MPG has been decreasing slowly for the last 2 yrs. getting only 22mpg consistently. Used 1 bottle of techron (followed directions on bottle) and after 1 tank of highway driving my gas mileage increased to 28mpg. IT WORKS! I then changed the oil and plan on using Redline fuel system cleaner, titrated as per bottle recommendations.

Quick Reply: Fuel injector cleaner