S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fuel gauge inconsistency

Old 10-20-2014, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2KERRP2
Originally Posted by TeslaChicken' timestamp='1413852353' post='23376647
[quote name='S2KERRP2' timestamp='1413851949' post='23376641']
what kinda gas you use?
Premium
was going to say that I switched from chevron to shell and I get considerabely better gas mileage.
[/quote]

Oh okay sorry, I didn't realize you meant company. I mostly get gas from Costco (cheaper with membership) but other than that I usually get gas at Sunoco or Exxon - not too many Shells in my area and the few are pretty expensive from what I've seen
Old 10-20-2014, 05:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

since you seem nervous bout how the gauge is working.. get a gallon can a fuel, get around that 3 bar worry zone, let it drop to 1 bar, let it drop to No bars.. drive it, do not panic, you have a gallon in the trunk for this, run it out.. you might be surprised In how long that's going to take.. if you hit 3 to 5 miles after No Bars.. and come across fuel, go ahead, you proved to yourself, the car might go 3 to 5 miles after all bars are gone..

I have driven into the no bar zone many times and it generally takes me several miles.. seemingly enough to so far, dump me at some fuel place somewhere... if I have 2 bars and it goes to one, I can generally for my driving, go a couple days back and forth.. if I panicked every time it hit 3 bars, well, I'm already a wreck... anyway.. save your worries for much more important matters.. get more comfortable.. by seeing the other side of the 3-4 bars.. live in the 1-2 world freely.. fear not... thanks for the humour...
Old 10-20-2014, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ryuu
since you seem nervous bout how the gauge is working.. get a gallon can a fuel, get around that 3 bar worry zone, let it drop to 1 bar, let it drop to No bars.. drive it, do not panic, you have a gallon in the trunk for this, run it out.. you might be surprised In how long that's going to take.. if you hit 3 to 5 miles after No Bars.. and come across fuel, go ahead, you proved to yourself, the car might go 3 to 5 miles after all bars are gone..

I have driven into the no bar zone many times and it generally takes me several miles.. seemingly enough to so far, dump me at some fuel place somewhere... if I have 2 bars and it goes to one, I can generally for my driving, go a couple days back and forth.. if I panicked every time it hit 3 bars, well, I'm already a wreck... anyway.. save your worries for much more important matters.. get more comfortable.. by seeing the other side of the 3-4 bars.. live in the 1-2 world freely.. fear not... thanks for the humour...
Most interesting response by far - I guess I can try that someday and see how the car can either appease or inflame my worries. Lowest I've driven it so far is the three bar zone but I only remember putting a $20 in and not resetting the trip counter
Old 10-20-2014, 07:43 PM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes the gauge is inaccurate, but it's nothing to over think or calculate exactly IMO. Just figure that when the gauge says 1/2, it's really more like 1/3; and when the gauge is at 1/4, it's more like 1/8.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't recommend running the car out of gas, and really I don't recommend letting the fuel level get down too low. Our in-tank fuel pumps rely on being submerged in gas to help keep them running cooler. You can burn up a fuel pump (especially an aftermarket one) by running too low on gas too frequently.

If you ever have to swap your fuel pump out, drive it around real low on gas first then take out the pump. That thing is too hot to hold when you take it out after its been running low on gas.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by bdo
Yes the gauge is inaccurate, but it's nothing to over think or calculate exactly IMO. Just figure that when the gauge says 1/2, it's really more like 1/3; and when the gauge is at 1/4, it's more like 1/8.
I like the way you put the gauge levels and I'm going to think of it that way because I like having a reference - thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
I wouldn't recommend running the car out of gas, and really I don't recommend letting the fuel level get down too low. Our in-tank fuel pumps rely on being submerged in gas to help keep them running cooler. You can burn up a fuel pump (especially an aftermarket one) by running too low on gas too frequently.

If you ever have to swap your fuel pump out, drive it around real low on gas first then take out the pump. That thing is too hot to hold when you take it out after its been running low on gas.
That's what I'm trying to avoid and that's why this fuel gauge is working against my OCD when it comes to fuel and consumption and gauge - I don't want to run too dry but I also don't want to go fill it up all the time out of fear.

Nice avatar though, Ghost in the Shell is definitely in my tops
Old 10-21-2014, 06:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken
Nice avatar though, Ghost in the Shell is definitely in my tops
Old 10-21-2014, 09:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone experience this or know what to do to fix it?
Yup -- that's just the way it is. Nothing to fix. You just have to determine where you're comfortable filling up. I try at 4 bars but often find myself below that.

Oh okay, someone said the last two bars go in 5 miles so that kind of scared me
The gauge isn't linear or reliable. You might get 5 miles out of 2 bars. You might get many more. I've seen bars disappear and reappear. The gauge is only going to give you a rough idea. I'd suggest keeping your driving conditions and mileage in mind.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:43 AM

I have gone 62 miles once after a fill-up before the first tick mark went away.
I have also seen (often) my last 5 bars go 1 tick per 1/2 mile, so essentially I go from 5 bars to empty in 2.5 miles. This happens almost every single tank.

Lastly, even when my tank is reading 0 bars (empty) I have gone over 20 miles on this and still did not run out of gas (but I had to change my shorts when I got to the gas station )
Old 10-21-2014, 12:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i still profess the take a gutsy approach.. face ones fears sorta thing.. no bars no fears...

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge inconsistency