S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fuel gauge inconsistency

Old 10-20-2014, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel gauge inconsistency

Hello all,

Just got back from my daily commute in the S and I could not help but notice I didn't drop even a single bar in approximately 44 miles.

Now I didn't go over 5k revs, had some traffic, typical, moderate driving. I doubt it's the S's Prius destroying fuel economy so I'm pointing to a bad fuel sensor maybe?

Today was my first daily commute with it - previously I just used a few days as a "go out for a fun drive" car and the sensor worked great - put $20 worth of gas in her and it went up from three bars to half past three bars. I filled her up lastnight and barely put any miles back home - did not pump more after it stopped, I just let every drop trickle down though...

Anyone experience this or know what to do to fix it?
Old 10-20-2014, 02:55 PM

Received 1,438 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Welcome to the non-linear S2000 fuel gauge. First bar often takes 50+ miles to tick away, I've seen as high as 60.the lower tbe fuel level, the faster it drops.

When you get down to 2 bars, the low fuel light comes on, and those last 2 bars are gone in like 5 miles.

The half tank mark is anything but. I mostly go by miles since filled up (using the trip odometer) to know how fuel I really have.

Yes, it kinda sucks. Yes, you do get used to it, and its not that big a deal in the end.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Welcome to the non-linear S2000 fuel gauge. First bar often takes 50+ miles to tick away, I've seen as high as 60.the lower tbe fuel level, the faster it drops.

When you get down to 2 bars, the low fuel light comes on, and those last 2 bars are gone in like 5 miles.

The half tank mark is anything but. I mostly go by miles since filled up (using the trip odometer) to know how fuel I really have.

Yes, it kinda sucks. Yes, you do get used to it, and its not that big a deal in the end.
I see, so I guess it can expect it to drop tomorrow after a 22 mile trip to or maybe even during the 22 back... When do you recommend going to pump; 3-4 bars maybe? I haven't gotten to actually drive a whole tank down - the car is about a week old to me
Old 10-20-2014, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kinda gas you use?
Old 10-20-2014, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by S2KERRP2
what kinda gas you use?
Premium
Old 10-20-2014, 04:56 PM

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Prolly hard to fill up to exactly (or even close to exact) the same volume every fill-up. That 1 or 2 quart variance will have the most effect on the first few gallons used, wrt gas mileage. Another consideration is tire pressure. Did you check pressure and add, between fill-ups? Oil change, too... may initially make a small difference.

Best to measure gas mileage, after a good half tank or more gas is used. In terms of accuracy.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken
Originally Posted by Car Analogy' timestamp='1413845700' post='23376526

I see, so I guess it can expect it to drop tomorrow after a 22 mile trip to or maybe even during the 22 back... When do you recommend going to pump; 3-4 bars maybe? I haven't gotten to actually drive a whole tank down - the car is about a week old to me
Whatever you're comfortable with. The tank holds 13.2 gallons. The low fuel light comes on at 1 or 2 bars. I've never been able to put in more than 10.9 gallons, and I usually refill when the low fuel light comes on, typically after going 180-200 miles if I've been doing all city driving. Low fuel can damage the pump, but I think there's a pretty safe buffer left when the light comes on.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Prolly hard to fill up to exactly (or even close to exact) the same volume every fill-up. That 1 or 2 quart variance will have the most effect on the first few gallons used, wrt gas mileage. Another consideration is tire pressure. Did you check pressure and add, between fill-ups? Oil change, too... may initially make a small difference.

Best to measure gas mileage, after a good half tank or more gas is used. In terms of accuracy.
I haven't check the tire pressure - I really should though. Oil looks really good when I bought it but I am checking it every fill up.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by solitarycheese
Originally Posted by TeslaChicken' timestamp='1413851682' post='23376637
[quote name='Car Analogy' timestamp='1413845700' post='23376526']

Whatever you're comfortable with. The tank holds 13.2 gallons. The low fuel light comes on at 1 or 2 bars. I've never been able to put in more than 10.9 gallons, and I usually refill when the low fuel light comes on, typically after going 180-200 miles if I've been doing all city driving. Low fuel can damage the pump, but I think there's a pretty safe buffer left when the light comes on.
[/quote]

Oh okay, someone said the last two bars go in 5 miles so that kind of scared me

I usually have some nice windy backroads that I take with three stop signs so it's pretty fluid even when there's a little bit of volume. I just don't like having it still read "full" when I've put 44+ miles on her...
Old 10-20-2014, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken
Originally Posted by S2KERRP2' timestamp='1413851949' post='23376641
what kinda gas you use?
Premium
was going to say that I switched from chevron to shell and I get considerabely better gas mileage.

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge inconsistency