S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fuel Gauge

Old 11-01-2008, 02:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge

MY99 JDM.

The fuel gauge isn't illuminated very well. When the side/head lights are off, the gauge is just about readable, but when I turn the lights on it disappears. The low fuel indicator comes on when nearly empty as expected.

Is it just a case of renewing the lamps behind it, or is the dash buggered? I also need to stop the KmH lamp illuminating, but get the MPH one shining. The speedo conversion has already been done and the odometer reads in miles too.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:52 AM

BUMP - I need to see my fuel gauge, any advice appreciated.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:43 PM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Patch for the time being.....

1 Fill up till it clicks.
2 Reset TripA Counter
3 With spiritted driving you will get about 240miles to the tank.
4 Don't risk and as soon as you see 230miles click over head to the gas station.

Beating the piss out the car? Stick to 200miles to the tank.

Once at gas station repeat Step 1 & 2. I do it that way any ways. Have better idea how many miles left.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:45 PM

Many thanks, that'll do for now.

If anyone else knows if/how to replace the lamp(s), that'd be great.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:23 PM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

No problemo dood.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the little bulbs that light up the lower right corner there are 2.0Watts. The upper ones (where tachometer is) are 3.0Watts. You'll have to pull the garnish around the instrument cluster to get it out in order to replace the bulbs. Take it out, pull the bulb, take it to a parts store for a comparison to the new one. Don't worry if the new one is like 1.8W or 2.1Watts. That's close enough.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll wait 'til the weekend before removing the instrument cluster, sounds like a bitch to get off.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm glad you posted this loftust. I am having a similar problem with the guel gauge backlighting. It is not completely dark, but it is way dimmer than the rest of the dash. The gauge responds to the bright/dim - + buttons, but 3 or 4 steps dimmer than the rest of the cluster. I feel something else is up.. any other ideas?
Old 11-03-2008, 01:29 PM

I have just checked mine again (it's dark here), clearly legible without side/main lights on, although no way near as bright as all the others. When the lights are turned on, the gauge is not readable. The rest of the cluster responds to the +/- buttons.

I'm guessing that the wrong lamp has been used. It can't be the sensor that measures the level of fuel as it has dipped with driving. A dodgy connection would mean it should flicker with driving over bumps.

I'm guessing that the dash has one common earth, so it shouldn't be that.

If anyone has the wiring schedules for a 99, I'd be greatful if you could let me know, perhaps something else in the circuit is dropping the voltage too much before it reaches the dash.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:22 PM

Took the S out for a spin tonight...the fuel gauge is lit! I parked up at my friends house, turned her off and on, the light is still fine. Turn her back on to drive home, and the fuel gauge has gone back to being very dim again.

I'm guessing it's a loose wire or dirty contact (although it has never flickered)...at the stalk connector maybe?

It's driving me bonkers because I'm pedantic and like things just so.....Aaarrgghhhh!!!

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge