S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fuel Gauge

Old 02-23-2006, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fuel Gauge

fuel light was on
filled gas tank up with 11 gals of 93 octane
it took 15 mins of driving to finally show full on my fuel gauge
this has happened twice so far

..... i just notice this after this one time(around 2-10-06) when i was driving on E with the light on,with no bars, for about 9 miles...but when i filled it up after the 9 miles it was fine

i just reset the ECU but it had a full tank.. so it showed full when i pluged everything back up...?

ECU was reset by, removing the negative battery terminal for about 30 mins... and i opened the door, just to make sure no power left, and turned the key to on postion in the ignition ...WAS THAT DONE CORRECTLY?

PLEASE HELP ME EZZZZ.. MY MIND, WITH SOME INSIGHT

S2000
Old 02-23-2006, 01:42 PM
VAD

When you fuel up, do you turn the ignition off or leave it running? It needs to be turned off! If you turn off the ignition while refueling and still have these symptoms, then I don't know
Old 02-23-2006, 01:44 PM

yes, when i refuel i always turn the car off............?.... help... please...
Old 02-23-2006, 03:12 PM

i ran out of gas 2 times because my gas guage read 1/4 and it was empty i dont turn my car off when i pump gas because i am turbo i like to let it cool. i thought it might be the aem.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:50 PM

is there something wrong with the gas meter or something i can check?
Old 02-27-2006, 03:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just guessing here, but I've seen several times in different places that you shouldn't top off your fuel tank when you fill. Just stop fueling when the pump shuts off the first time. Apparently, the floats (I'm not sure if we even have float sensors) that sense the fuel level in the tank can get stuck or damaged if you don't allow for some room in the tank for them to operate properly and provide an accurate input to the ECU. Could be BS though.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:50 AM

I have heard the same thing but I can not say that it is a fact or just people talking like they think they know .

The gas gauge is the most inaccurate gauge by far so for it to be off is not a big suprise. Being far enough off like s2kboost where you run out when it reads 1/4 can run you into problems and should be checked out.

s2kboost. Your AEM is not playing games with your gas gauge. I think it does not even run through the computer.

I think you are fine and it's nothing to worry about. It sounds like it just takes a few minutes to catch up to the new fuel level. Is it still semi-accurate when it gets lower in the tank, like when you fill up is what you put in comparable to what you think you have left?
Old 03-05-2006, 01:24 PM

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS... i just filled up friday... 3-3-06 and the key was in the 1st click postion and after i finished.. i turned it to the 2nd click postion and was scared as hellllll... ha ha... but then it showed full... so i think it might have just be something with the ECU missing up(I reset the ECU 1 week ago)... again THANKS
Old 04-09-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC,Feb 27 2006, 04:07 AM
I'm just guessing here, but I've seen several times in different places that you shouldn't top off your fuel tank when you fill. Just stop fueling when the pump shuts off the first time. Apparently, the floats (I'm not sure if we even have float sensors) that sense the fuel level in the tank can get stuck or damaged if you don't allow for some room in the tank for them to operate properly and provide an accurate input to the ECU. Could be BS though.
I've found out it's true. My probelm started about a year ago when the station attendant accidentally filled my tank instead of putting in the dollar amount I asked for. I usually never let them fill it, because they'll try topping it off and spill gas down the side of the car.

Well, it got stuck at about 1 bar from full for 3 days. I added gas to try and see if the float would move and nothing happened. I waited a few days and right before I figured I might need to add gas to keep from running out, it moved to about 3 bars from empty. Ever since then, it worked fine but never would go completely full. Always 1 bar short.

Other than this, it was fine until a month ago, when some idiot pulled the same trick and crammed as much gas in it as he could, of course gas spilled all over the car and I was pissed. Anyway, it's been stuck at 1 or 2 bars from full no matter how low I get on gas.

By the way, I usually never let someone pump my gas if I can avoid it but I live in NJ where there are no self-serve stations.