S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fuel Cut Off Switch (tried search)

Old 06-16-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I've never looked into it or even heard of a setup. You have any type of examples. And to me if it's going to save my car from being stolen I'd be willing to go through some hassle. Not being lazy has to be one of them. I'm going to talk to an electric guru buddy and see what he comes up with. Knowing him I could probably pay him for a pass code ignition system type of thing.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by jetboater
If you use any seat bolts other than the OEM or Kodokan's seat locks, make sure they are grade 8 or higher.

Keeping the seats attached to the car in case of a accident is a critical safety factor---this is not an area to cheap out on....
Grade 8 bolts has less shear strength than regular bolts. Correct me of I'm wrong but wouldn't shear strength be more important in this situation than tensile strength?
Old 06-17-2013, 03:49 AM

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Fuel cutoff switches are easily & quickly bypassed by experienced thieves; they've been played out.
Instead, kill the ground on the PGM-FI main relay and relocate it. In addition to this, but not in itself, a starter cut would also be good.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:08 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pa9k
Originally Posted by jetboater' timestamp='1371437666' post='22612487
If you use any seat bolts other than the OEM or Kodokan's seat locks, make sure they are grade 8 or higher.

Keeping the seats attached to the car in case of a accident is a critical safety factor---this is not an area to cheap out on....
Grade 8 bolts has less shear strength than regular bolts. Correct me of I'm wrong but wouldn't shear strength be more important in this situation than tensile strength?

I think you're right in that shear strength is more important. Going by this chart, grade 8 has twice the shear strength of grade 2....

http://nucor-fastener.com/Files/PDFs...r_Strength.pdf

it seems the industry standard calculation is that shear strength is .6 of tensile strength and the tensile strength of grade 8 bolts is substantially higher than grade 2.

I'm not an engineer so I really can't debate the details of this....if I'm incorrect, please clarify.

thanks!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bimmerguy3
^ I've never looked into it or even heard of a setup. You have any type of examples. And to me if it's going to save my car from being stolen I'd be willing to go through some hassle. Not being lazy has to be one of them. I'm going to talk to an electric guru buddy and see what he comes up with. Knowing him I could probably pay him for a pass code ignition system type of thing.
Have you ever seen the big red switch inside a racecar? That is a switch that basically completes the connection of the positive battery cable. they sell these switches that are a "key" that you can remove, they are tamper resistant. so in short you take your positive battery cable cut it in the place you want your switch and put the switch in. Ive done it on vehicles for my buddies and they love it. you could run the switch to mount on the firewall for example. the only thing that can be beaten is if the two posts on the back of the switch are exposed you can bridge them with a screwdriver to exclude the switch, but a little smart thinking can take care of that.

like stated above, its basically a starter cut.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by jetboater
Originally Posted by pa9k' timestamp='1371467490' post='22612879
[quote name='jetboater' timestamp='1371437666' post='22612487']

I think you're right in that shear strength is more important. Going by this chart, grade 8 has twice the shear strength of grade 2....

http://nucor-fastener.com/Files/PDFs...r_Strength.pdf

it seems the industry standard calculation is that shear strength is .6 of tensile strength and the tensile strength of grade 8 bolts is substantially higher than grade 2.

I'm not an engineer so I really can't debate the details of this....if I'm incorrect, please clarify.

thanks!
[/quote]

Just spoke with our engineer, and you sir are correct.