S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fuel cooler, how effective would it be

Old 11-19-2002, 08:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote for "no effect"

The only benefit I know of cooling the fuel is to avoid vaporized gas pockets. Unused fuel is sent back to the tank by the fuel pressure regulator, so there shouldn't be an issue.

P.S. I had a 2000 Acura TL, and they put the fuel regulator before the fuel rail. If you parked your car for 10 minutes and came back out, you could have trouble starting the car. Heat soaks into the fuel rail and causes the fuel to boil. On that particular car, the pressure regulator was UPSTREAM of the fuel rail. Therefore, the gas in the fuel rail didn't get circulated back to the tank for cooling. Instead, you had to crank the engine until enough new fuel came into the rails to stop the boiling. Hopefully our pressure regulator in the S2000 is DOWNSTREAM of the fuel rail (I'll have to check). This keeps the fuel cool during operation and prevents hot fuel from being trapped in the fuel rail at restart.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Creating this mod will leave you:

-with lots of water dripping from your car
-driving around hoping all that rerouting and ice adds more hp on the butt dyno
-sitting back in the garage putting everything back the way it was

[hint: you'll notice that in general, liquids aren't quickly cooled by dumping them in a pressurized "canister" and surrounding them with ice.]
Old 11-19-2002, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't know if the specific heat of gasoline is as high as water, but i think you *MIGHT* possibly get a *TINY* effect out of this as the gasoline cooled the intake charge before entering the cylinder.

as someone pointed out, it's almost too late, given the injector placement directly adjacent to the intake ports on the head, but it would do something if there were enough fuel and the intake charge was hot. water injection does make more power by cooling the intake charge and allowing advanced timing, and they don't use much water in relation to the quantity of fuel used.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hot rod guys used to (prob still) do this. They would take a coffee can with dry ice and run a long fuel line inside of it coiled up. It condenses the fuel obviously before it runs into the combustion chamber. It's definitely effective.

Remember, this was done at the drag strip, not on a daily driver car.