S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Frustrating Misfire/Stutter No CEL

Old 07-17-2006, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should i take it to the dealer....or how should i approach this situation?
Old 07-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You tell them "it's not running right" explain the symptoms and DON'T offer any kind of diagnosis. Then see what they come back with. Don't tell them you worked on it first. I find, I get the absolutely best information when I play dumb in a situation like this.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:36 PM

The hal2000 theory by Viper will be studied for years. My car does the same thing, it hates the heat, and it hates dropping to idle from higher revs..... which really sucks because it nearly stalls whenever I rev on a Civic.

and whatever you do, don't bring it to the honda dealor......
Old 07-18-2006, 03:37 AM
Ek9
Banned

You can't listen to comments like "don't bring it to the dealer". You have to be aware of your car and don't let the dealer or any garage BS you. Any time you take it for repair, it's a crap shoot unless you know the people working on it. Even people I know, I'd double-check their work. Every one screws up from time to time.

If you can't fix it yourself, what choice do you have though?
Old 07-18-2006, 06:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

OK, I've endeavoured to help out here. I didn't have to. It has been met with scepticism. I guess that's your right. Afterall, you don't know me from a hole in the ground. I've put forward my impressions of what's going on here based upon observing stories like this for 5.5 years, my own car included as well as "hands on" with many other S2000s. Even after I put forth my scenario and asked questions, my questions have remained unanswered, with absolutely no comments about it. I guess it's time for you to take your car to the "crap shoot" dealer. That too, is your prerogative and your right. Just think about what I've posted here before you go into your dealer to tell them to fix something that just might not be broken. Just keep in mind that the huge majority of all S2000s on the road on the face of this earth, exhibit this "characteristic". I've explained this many times and in detail why this characteristic exists, so I'm not about to spend more time trying to convince you of something that clearly, you don't wish to entertain.
Before you excercise your right to demand that Honda fixes this, here is some food for thought:
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=154867
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89743
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=154886
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=96107
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=95904
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=184812
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=198308
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=206196

Oh, and "Stko0k", you have given absolutely no details as to the year of your car, the mileage on your car, whether or not there are any mods to your car and no indication of where you live (climate) and yes, these things are important in the diagnosis of any "problem". Yet you expect a fair and accurated assessment of your situation. I did the best I could given the lack of information and your lack of desire to even comment about my scenario.

I truly hope that I am wrong in your case and I hope that this doesn't turn out being a case of a car being taken in for something that isn't a problem, only to have them tear your car apart and end up sending it back to you with more things wrong with it than what it started out as. But then, I guess you can always take it back again to fix those things. Let us know how it all went after you've gotten it fixed and have had a chance to let "climate" work on it some more.
As for this thread, I've contributed more than is expected of anyone here. I'm finished.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:39 AM
Banned

5 yrs 125 days = 5.34722222222 not 5.5

Old 07-19-2006, 03:21 PM

okay my car is a 2000 honda s2000.....i live in Southern Cali.....i encountered another sympton this morning which was very interesting...when i turned the car on....the idle wasnt stabel it would drop almost to the last line and come back up and drop and go back up.....and the cart didnt sound normal....as i was driving i came to my first red light....went to neutral...the car turned off.....i turned it back on...low idle....motor sounded wierd...WIERD smell...did the same thing at the next light....but this time since i was rolling and in neutral with the car offf...i popped it into gear and released the clutch to start it...it started...no more wierd idle and wierd sound or smell....but the car wouldnt move..in first gear....the car sounded as if it was driving normal...however it felt like i was in 6th gear at 1000rpm and the car wouldnt move....i went to 2nd same thing 3rd same thing 4th same thing.....in 4th i let off the gas a couple of times...and i eased into it again finally picked up as if it were driving normally again.....the only thing i have on this car is in AEM intake...which ive had on for 2 years now...i also have 54k miles on the motor..i blew the motor long time ago when i was turbo and the dealer put a new motor in through the warranty..so the motor now has about 5k miles on it.....the person who works at the dealer is also my friend...the mechanic..not the service advisor...he is Stephan Papadakasis's mechanic for AEMS race car...i trust his work....so i havnt taken the car in yet...but hoping to do so soon...
Old 07-19-2006, 03:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

With the latest info (which would have been helpful in the beginning), this would suggest you do have some serious problems. A year 2000 car most likely has some old parts on it. Is the clutch original? Cali means it never gets cold. Starting it in the morning means first "cold" start of the day. Next thing I picked us was "why do you go to neutral prior to a stop"? This can serve to confuse the ECU even further but I doubt this lends to anything significant given what else is going on.

You say you put it in gear and it "started". Then you say it didn't move. This is contradictory. If it didn't move, then you never "started". So what is it? What was the engine rpm doing at the time? (You're still missing details.) You then went to 2nd, then 3rd, then 4th. Describe this (more details). What was the rpm doing? What was the car doing in terms of going down the road or not going down the road?

Offhand, I would say (but without any certainty since there are still bits of information missing), you have 2 completely different sets of serious problems. One is with the engine and the other may be with the clutch and tranny. Yes, take it to your friend. This looks like it's too serious to fix over the internet.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Ek9
Banned

Let me try to translate.

"I put it into gear and bump started it with the clutch 'cause the car was rolling and in gear. The car wouldn't accelerate like normal, it sounded like it was lugging, like I was going slow in 6th gear. After I got off the throttle some and eased into the gears instead of hammering the gas pedal, it took off some and I was able to drive it"

Man, a little punctuation goes a long way. It's a good thing I tech support my own product. I've gotten good a deciphering rambles like this.

Sounds to me like you have a fuel or ignition problem that's just getting worse. You're not capable of troubleshooting it so, you should take it to this dude.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:00 AM

yeee im almost sure its either not getting fuel or not getting spark somewhere along the lines.....im thinking its spark because i once got the system to rich cel and that meant at the time it had too much fuel and it wasnt being burned because i was missing the spark somewhere

Quick Reply: Frustrating Misfire/Stutter No CEL